ST WINIFRED'S WELL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1054245

Date first listed: 19-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 15-May-1986

Statutory Address: ST WINIFRED'S WELL

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST WINIFRED'S WELL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054245 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 11:02:25.

Location

Statutory Address: ST WINIFRED'S WELL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Oswestry Rural

National Grid Reference: SJ3222624437

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

OSWESTRY RURAL C.P. SJ 32 SW 10/222

WOOLSTON

St. Winifred's Well (formerly listed as the Well House in West Felton C.P.)

19.1.52

II*

Holy well and well house. Probably late C15/early C16 on earlier site, later additions and alterations. Well: regularly coursed dressed sandstone blocks; cottage: timber framed with painted brick infill, slate roof. Cottage is a single-storey T-plan with gable projecting over well. Framing: massive close-set vertical posts throughout with V-struts from collar to gable; boarded-over window to left of central boarded door on north side, integral yellow brick end stack to right with original shaped window-head below largely obscured by wooden lean-to. Well: consists of inner chamber over spring beneath cottage approached through narrow entrance to right; this inner chamber has a round-headed outer arch over low stone wall with moulded rectangular (? image) niche above, leading into a rectangular stone basin; this has a flight of four steps to each side and the water drains through a hole in the wall at the bottom end into a square basin below; this is also approached by steps to left and right and the water drains through a hole at its bottom end into the stream below.

Interior: inspection not possible at time of re-survey (July 1985) but said to contain an arch-braced collar beam roof in three bays with cusped struts forming quatrefoils and cusped wind braces. The well commemorates the miracle of a spring gushing forth on the spot where the body of the C7 Saint Winifred rested on its journey from Holywell to Shrewsbury; the present structure was probably built at the expense of Margaret, Countess of Beaufort, wife of Henry VII, who also re-built the larger pilgrimage centre at Holywell. A datestone said to be inscribed 1635 at the right of the entrance to the well's inner chamber was not visible at time of re-survey and there is no evidence to support the suggestion that the structure above the well was once a chapel.

This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 26 October 2016.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 255700

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 323
'Transactions of the Shropshire Archaeological Society' in Transactions of the Shropshire Archaeological Society, , Vol. 27, (1904), 310-12
Other
Salop County Sites and Monuments Record, PRN 13169

End of official listing