Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1054254

Date first listed: 19-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 02-Sep-1987

Statutory Address: 1-4, CHURCH TERRACE


Ordnance survey map of Nos. 1-4, CHURCH TERRACE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054254 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2019 at 00:25:15.


Statutory Address: 1-4, CHURCH TERRACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: St. Martin's

National Grid Reference: SJ 32199 36328


SJ 33 NW; 2/10

ST. MARTIN'S C.P., CHURCH TERRACE, Nos 1-4 (inclusive)

(formerly listed as The Almshouses, St Martin's)




Almshouses. Dated 1698, altered 1810 with later repairs and additions. Red brick (mixed bond) with stone angle quoins and moulded eaves cornice carried up around central projecting pediment; hipped graded slate roof. Formerly seven dwellings, now divided into four cottages. Single storey. Symmetrical fenestration: C20 casements (replacing C19 latticed windows) with C18 or early C19 gauged heads flanking paired entrances to left and right. Similar arrangement of windows to either side of entrance to pediment with doorways and adjoining windows in angles to left and right. Entrances all have C20 nail-studded doors and C19 rectangular overlights. Ridge stacks rebuilt in C19 red brick to left and right of pediment and integral end stacks. Datestone to pediment inscribed "This School for the Education / of twelve poor Female Children / in the Doctrines of the Established Church / was instituted A.D. 1810 / By / Charlotte Vicountess Dungannon / Sit Deo Gloria." Another to right end wall reads "These Alms Houses / for the Maintenance of Six Poor Women / were founded A.D. 1698 / by the Rt. Hon.ble Sir JOHN TREVOR Kt. / of BRYNKINALT / Speaker of the House of Commons and / Master of the Rolls during the Reigns / of King William III.rd and Queen Anne. / Deus nobis hac otia fecit." B.o.E p. 239.

Listing NGR: SJ3218436328


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 255722

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 239

End of official listing