SO 38 NE
LYDBURY NORTH CP,
Church of St Michael and All Angels
Parish church. Early C12 nave, late C12 chancel and tower with probably C15 parapet; north transept probably rebuilt in C14; probably C15 south porch; south transept rebuilt in the C17, and the whole restored in 1901-2 by J T Micklethwaite, and the chancel in 1905. Coursed and uncoursed limestone rubble; nave, south porch and south transept partly roughcast circa 1901-2, and graded stone slate roofs. C12 cruciform plan with south porch, west tower, and two-storey south transept.
Tower: three stages with string courses, C12 pilaster buttress to east, C17 central and set back buttresses with set-offs, and circa 1901 diagonal buttresses to west; corbel table, coped battlemented parapet, and pyramidal cap with weathervane and flag pole; bell chamber openings on each face with two depressed-arched lights, small central rectangular window in each stage to west, and small central rectangular first stage window to south with clock on buttress above.
Nave: south side: chamfered-arched south doorway off-centre to left; probably C17 studded door with fleur-de-lys hinges. Gabled porch with circa 1901 embellishments, including carved brackets supporting carved cambered tie beam with brattishing above, weatherboarded gable end, and waney-edged bargeboards; two-bay C15 roof with queen-strut truss, central arch-braced collar truss and wind braces. Probably C18 side benches. Circa 1901 two-light leaded mullioned window high up to left of porch, C12 round-arched window to right of porch, and probably 1901 segmental-arched three-light window with hoodmould to far night. North side: C17 two-light window with Y-tracery to left and C12 round-arched window to right.
South transept: circa 1901 three-light mullioned first floor window in gable to south and circa 1901 segmental-headed three-light ground floor window with returned hoodmould; west front with catslide over staircase outshut, two-light mullioned window to west, and first floor lancet and depressed-arched boarded door to south; segmental-headed two-light circa 1901 window in east front.
North transept: two-light north window, and cusped lancets to east and west; circa 1901-2 octagonal stone stack.
Chancel: south side: central round-arched C12 window, trefoiled ogee-headed lancet to left, and window to right with two ogee-headed lights. North side: three C12 round-arched windows. East end: diagonal buttresses and circa 1901 moulded bargeboards; circa 1901 depressed-arched three-light window with panelled tracery and returned hoodmould; blocked C12 window to left.
INTERIOR: probably late C12 pointed tower-arch with scalloped capitals, and blocked former tower window above; C12 round-arch to north (Plowden) chapel; circa 1901-2 moulded and chamfered arch to south (Walcot) chapel, dying into responds with carved corbel heads of Queen Victoria and King Edward VII; piscina in north chapel, chamfered-arched piscina and aumbry in chancel; four-bay chancel roof with double purlins, wind braces, arch-braced collar trusses with V-struts above, and central queen-strut truss; eight-bay nave roof with double purlins, cusped quatrefoil wind braces, arch-braced collar trusses, end frames with queen-strut trusses, and moulded tie beam between fourth and fifth bays with short braces resting on brackets.
FITTINGS include: C18 communion rails with bulbous turned balusters, moulded rail, and central gate; two fluted image brackets flanking east window with rare circa 1640 wooden candlesticks; circa 1901-2 organ and loft to south in chancel; restored circa C15 rood screen consisting of tall one-light divisions with pierced traceried panels, traceried blank panels beneath, moulded muntins with shafts, and C20 battlemented frieze and cresting; square-headed doorway in north chapel leading to former rood loft staircase within wall, now blocked; painted Ten Commandments and Creed in tympanum above screen, signed and dated "Charles Bright Churchwarden, 1615"; plain circa 1500 north chapel screen with moulded muntins; octagonal wooden pulpit dated 1624 with carved panels, central carved guilloche band, gadrooned frieze, and circa 1901-2 stone base; restored C17 box pews with carved panels and turned knobs; probably late C12 font with round bowl in scalloped square block, square base and wooden cover of 1630; probably C17 alms box to left of south door with clasp and lock; parish chest; two hatchments in south transept.
MONUMENTS include: Johannes Ambler dated 1627, tablet in chancel consisting of lugged architrave with cherub's head below and cornice with segmental top above; Elizabeth Walcot dated 1654, tablet in south chapel consisting of lugged architrave with scrolled sides, double segmental pediment breaking forward with scrolled keystone, and shield above; Hester Bright dated 1790, tablet in nave consisting of oval plaque with crossed palms-below and half urn above; John Bright dated 1806, tablet in chancel consisting of oval plaque with draped urn above.
Listing NGR: SO3521686029