WALL AND GATEWAY APPROXIMATELY 14 METRES TO SOUTH OF CHANCEL OF CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1054575

Date first listed: 02-Jan-1985

Statutory Address: WALL AND GATEWAY APPROXIMATELY 14 METRES TO SOUTH OF CHANCEL OF CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, BRAMPTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of WALL AND GATEWAY APPROXIMATELY 14 METRES TO SOUTH OF CHANCEL OF CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054575 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2018 at 22:25:54.

Location

Statutory Address: WALL AND GATEWAY APPROXIMATELY 14 METRES TO SOUTH OF CHANCEL OF CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, BRAMPTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Bishop's Castle

National Grid Reference: SO 32330 88390

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 3288; 12/9

BISHOP'S CASTLE C.P. BRAMPTON ROAD (south side)

Wall and gateway approximately 14 metres to south of Chancel of Church of St. John the Baptist

GV

II

Wall and gateway. Circa 1860, incorporating early C13 remains of the pre-1860 church of St. John the Baptist q.v. Coursed limestone rubble wall with sandstone ashlar details. Approximately 22 metres long and 1.5 metres high, north-west/south-east. Re-sited doorway at north-west end with moulded pointed-arch, 3 orders of shafts with stiff- leaf capitals to north-east, and boarded door with decorative strap hinges; re-sited triple sedilia at south-east end with moulded shafts leading without capitals to moulded cinquefoiled arches within overall square heads, and backed by re-used tombstones to north-east. Cranage also refers to a re-sited piscina, cusped window head, and a large Jacobean figure supposed to represent Gervas Needham, none of which were visible at time of resurvey (June 1984). Cranage, Part 5, pp.38-39

Listing NGR: SO3233088390

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 256915

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 38-39

End of official listing