- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- LINLEY HALL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054588.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 04-Dec-2021 at 15:58:36.
- Statutory Address:
- LINLEY HALL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 34619 92893
SO 39 SW MORE C.P. LINLEY
6/9 Linley Hall 1 12 51
Country House. 1742-8. By Henry Joynes, surveyor of Kensington Palace. Small regularly coursed limestone blocks and ashlar rusticated ground floor to east front; slate hipped roofs, stone modillion eaves cornice all round, carried up to pediments, lateral rubblestone stacks. The house is advanced for its time, largely Palladian in style but still with traces of Vanbrugh's influence, for whom Joynes had worked at Blenheim. 2 storeys over rustic; east entrance front of 5 bays, slightly projecting to centre and rising to pediment, twice recessed to flanks; middle bays have rusticated ashlar base and a plain central door with Gibbs surround, Venetian window to piano nobile and a keyed Diocletian window above; all the other windows are glazing bar sashes, pedimented to second and fourth bays on piano nobile, remainder (except those in first and fifth bays of top floor) with raised plastered keystones; empty round-headed niches on piano nobile to first and fifth bays. The south garden front also of 5 bays has a recessed central portion 3 bays wide and projecting wings with pedimented breaks; central glazed door, approached by straight flight of steps from terrace, has an Ionic porch with pulvinated frieze and pediment, flanked by tall pedimented 18-paned sash windows in lugged architraves, identical windows to wings on piano nobile; 6-paned sashes (also in lugged architraves) with raised plastered keystones to upper floor. West front. 3 bays with 3 window full height canted bay projection to centre, surmounted by stone balustrade; central window on piano nobile again with pediment, the remainder all also in lugged architraves with raised plastered keystones. Plain north front of 5 bays, recessed to centre with slightly projecting wings. Interior. Completed only in 1761. The piano nobile is reached by an elegant staircase of 2 flights with a wrought iron balustrade inserted c.1775-85; the chief rooms (all on the piano nobile) are the saloon, whose principal features are a pair of niches in the wall opposite the windows, a wide arched recess in the east wall, an enriched cornice and a fine mid Cl8 fireplace (which is not original to the house); the boudoir (now library) with its built-in shelving, enriched cornice and coved ceiling, and the drawing room; this latter has a wide bow (externally the 3 window canted bay on the west front) and is decorated with mid C19 French wallpaper, white and gold with pale blue borders. Linley has been the principal home of the More family since 1580. B.O.E. Pp. 168-9; Country Life Vol. 130 Sept. 7 1961, No.3366, Pp. 502-5 and Sept. 14 1961, No.3367, Pp. 558-61.
Listing NGR: SO3461992893
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 168-9
'Country Life' in 14 Sept, (1961), 558-61
'Country Life' in 7 September, (1961), 502-05
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 35 Shropshire,
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing