Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054608.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2021 at 12:42:48.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SO 38364 92657



7/56 Church of St Michael

21 3 68 GV II*

Parish church. Medieval origins, largely rebuilt using old materials by Henry Curzon in 1886. Rubblestone walls, slate roofs. Nave, chancel, south porch and vestry. Nave. The majority of the north wall, the west wall and the western part of the south wall appear to be medieval (see the angle quoins - one of those at the north-west corner is carved with an inverted grotesque head); on the north side are a small late C12 window (deeply splayed internally) and to the west a blocked round headed doorway - carved imposts, one with saltire crosses, the other with plain horizontal fluting - both in their original positions. The south doorway (under a late C19 timber porch on low stone walls) is transitional (c.1200), pointed with single chamfering and hoodmould, again in its original position; at the west end the weatherboarded belfry with pyramidal roof and weather- cock was considerably altered in late C19, it is supported on its west side by a stone corbel table; the cusped lancet windows, 3 on the south side (the central one with triple lights) and one on the north are also of 1886. Chancel. 2 bays, 2 cusped lancets in the western bay on each side, eastern bay windowless, has an East window of triple lancets; the vestry, unusually, is on the south side. Interior. The belfry is supported by an old framework of 4 oak pillars with massive cross beams, strengthened by braces; the 5-bay arch braced roof to the nave may be late C15; one of its trusses also has a tie beam but the windbraces, which are said to be arranged in a quatrefoil pattern, are now plastered over; the chancel, separated from the nave by a late C19 openwork timber screen has a trussed rafter roof (1886); C17 carved wooden pulpit and communion table, late C19 reredos with mosaic panels in an alabaster surround; the stained glass in the East window, showing Christ's coronation, is by Clayton and Bell; late C19 font. Cl7 and C18 pews re-used as dado panelling to the nave. Early C18 3-panel parish chest. At the west end of the church are placed 5 C18 and C19 headstones. The advowson of the church was presented to the Abbey of Shrewsbury as early as 1095. B.O.E. p.311; Cranage Vol.5 Pp. 427-8.

Listing NGR: SO3836492657


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01684/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roy Morgan. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].