THE CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1054778

Date first listed: 07-Jul-1989

Statutory Address: THE CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054778 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 04:24:05.

Location

Statutory Address: THE CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: North East Derbyshire (District Authority)

Parish: Eckington

National Grid Reference: SK 40142 81202

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PARISH OF ECKINGTON RIDGEWAY MOOR SK 48 SW 2/113 The Church of St John The Evangelist II Anglican Church and Community Centre. 1838-40 by Woodhead and Hurst. Tower 1883-4, alterations to form community centre 1984. Coursed coal measures sandstone with ashlar dressings, moulded copings and gables, cross finials to gables, and a Welsh slated roof. South-west tower incorporating gabled porch, nave, north and south aisles, and chancel with vestry to north wall. Tower of rock-faced masonry of three stages, rising from a plainly moulded plinth. Stairway incorporated within first stage, with a doorway and lancets above. Stepped angle buttresses, with set-offs to first stage. Triple lancet windows above gabled porch, incorporated within the depth of a pointed arched doorway, with deeply moulded surround and single attached shafts. Hoodmould above, with a projecting ashlar apex above a plain arch. Plain second stage, with unmoulded stringcourses delineating stages. Bell stage incorporates octagonal corner columns, which support octagonal pinnacles within moulded caps. Twin lancet belfry lights with hoodmould incorporated within stringcourse. Shallow parapet rises from a plain corbel table, with moulded coping. Steep slated pyramidal roof. Three bay south aisle, with tripartite lancets rising from a plain plinth, and a simple corbel table. Aisle bays delineated by shallow stepped buttresses. End bay with C20 double doorway. Six bay nave with cinquefoil clerestory lights. Nave west gable has a tall tripartite lancet window. Two bay chancel with single shallow buttress and 2-light pointed arched windows beneath a plain hoodmould with carved stops. Diagonal buttresses to east gable, and a 4-light pointed arched window with geometrical tracery, a hoodmould with stops and a continuous band linking the cills with the buttresses. Single bay vestry with hipped end to roof. Four bay north aisle, with elaborately moulded kneeler, and now with C20 double doorway.

Listing NGR: SK4014281202

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 79594

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing