Church of St Michael and All Angels
Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1054804
Date first listed: 23-May-1967
Date of most recent amendment: 23-Mar-1987
Statutory Address: Church of St Michael and All Angels, Church Green, Marden, TN12 9HN
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054804 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Mar-2019 at 14:07:37.
Statutory Address: Church of St Michael and All Angels, Church Green, Marden, TN12 9HN
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Maidstone (District Authority)
National Grid Reference: TQ 74423 44643
MARDEN CHURCH GREEN (north side) Church of St Michael and All Angels
(formerly listed as Church of St Michael)
23.5.67 GV I Parish church. Circa 1200, C13, C14, C15, and circa 1554. Restored 1868. Tower restored 1909.
Roughly-coursed sandstone to tower, north and south aisles and south porch. Random sandstone, ragstone and puddingstone, with ragstone gable, to south chancel chapel. Random sandstone and ragstone to chancel, and sandstone on ragstone base to north chancel chapel. Ragstone and sandstone dressings. Plain tile roofs to nave and chapels, leaded roof to north aisle. West tower, nave, south aisle extending to west face of tower, south porch with parvis chamber, chancel extending east of north and south chancel chapels, north aisle narrower than north chancel chapel and terminating at west end of nave.
West tower: C13 or early C14, with later belfry. No plinth. Three stone stages. Fourth, belfry stage weatherboarded with pyramidal slate roof and weathervane. Louvred section to each face of belfry. Two chamfered rectangular lancets to each face of third stage (one only to east). Chamfered pointed lancet to north and south faces of second stage, and small west lancet with ogee head. Broad pointed north lancet to bottom stage and small ogee-headed west window. Blocked rectangular opening to north between bottom and second stages. Doubly plain-chamfered pointed-arched west doorway in very slight projection with ragstone quoins, which dies back into tower wall below window. Integral north-west stair turret to two lowest stages, in form of clasping buttress with slit lights and lean-to roof.
South aisle: early C14. Chamfered ragstone plinth to south. Two south buttresses. West end bay, adjoining south side of tower, rebuilt in ragstone in C19 or early C20, except part of west gable end which is continuous with the tower, has no plinth and contains a small blocked lancet. Plain sandstone rubble parapet above vestigial hollow-chamfered ragstone cornice. Two C19 windows in a C14 style to west of porch and one to east.
South porch: early C14. Chamfered ragstone rubble plinth. Plain parapet above flush ragstone band. Diagonal buttresses. Pointed south lancet to parvis chamber. Blocked rectangular east and west lancets to ground floor. Plain-chamfered outer doorway, with doubly plain-chamfered pointed arch dying into jambs. Moulded pointed-arched inner doorway with broach stops and medieval door. Wooden bench to each side of porch. Broad close-set joists. Integral octagonal north-west stair turret in angle with nave, with corbelled parapet rising well above porch.
South chancel chapel: C14, partly rebuilt after fire of 1554. No plinth or buttresses. Gabled, with higher eaves and lower ridge than chancel. Two-light C19 south-west window with adjacent C19 doorway. Three-light C19 east window.
Chancel: circa 1200 origins, restored 1868. No plinth or buttresses. Much lower ridge than nave. One pointed-arched trefoil-headed lancet with hoodmould to south, and another to north. C19 three-light east window. Rainwater heads dated 1868.
North chancel chapel: C15. Chamfered ragstone plinth. Higher eaves and lower ridge than chancel. Diagonal north-east buttress and one south buttress. C15 three-light east window and two C15 two-light north windovs each with cinquefoil-headed lights, tracery of vertical bars, and moulded hoodmould.
North aisle: early C14. Slightly narrower than north chapel, but with higher eaves. No plinth. Diagonal north-west buttress and two north buttresses. Lean-to roof, with vestiges of hollow-chamfered ragstone cornice across west gable end. Three three-light north windows alternating with buttresses; one C19 in a C14 style, two C14, one with cusped cinquefoil, the other with cusped intersecting tracery, all with hoodmoulds. C19 two-light west window. Low moulded pointed-arched north doorway.
Interior: structure: three-bay C14 north and south arcades to nave, one slightly earlier than the other. South arcade has doubly hollow-chamfered pointed arches, with roll-and-fillet hoodmoulds dropping to vestigial demi-figures; octagonal columns and semi-octagonal end piers with water-holding bases and with capitals alternately moulded and carved with raised oak, ivy and water-lily leaves. North arcade has lightly doubly plain-chamfered pointed arches and alternating circular and octagonal piers and columns with moulded capitals and bases. Bevelled pointed chancel arch of c.1200 springing from moulded imposts above chamfered jambs with bar and broach stops. Two-bay chancel arcades, that to south C14 with plain and hollow-chamfered pointed arches, engaged shafts with bell capitals to ends, and octagonal column with moulded capital and base. C15 north arcade with doubly hollow-chamfered pointed arches, octagonal column and semi-octagonal piers with concave sides and moulded capitals and bases. Hollow-chamfered pointed arch and similar piers between north chancel chapel and north aisle. Doubly plain-chamfered pointed arch between south chapel and south aisle, outer order dying into wall, inner springing from corbels, one with carved face. Relatively low C13 or early C14 plain-chamfered pointed tower arch with broach stops and no imposts. Unbevelled pointed arch between tower base and west end bay of south aisle (no access from rest of aisle). Concave ashlared architraves and moulded rere-arches to windows of north chancel chapel. Boarded window between parvis chamber and south aisle. Blocked pointed-arched north doorway. Plain-chamfered pointed-arched doorway with broach stops, in south wall of south aisle, to parvis chamber stairs. Doorway with cambered head in south wall of north aisle, to rood loft stairs.
Roof: crown-post roof to nave, with four moulded octagonal crown posts, sous-laces, ashlar-pieces, and chamfered tie-beams. Crown-post roof to chancel with two square moulded crown posts, sous-laces and ashlar-pieces. North chapel roof similar to chancel, adjusted to east on account of window. Restored crown-post roof to south chapel. Aligned-butt-purlin lean-to roof to each aisle.
Fittings: moulded octagonal stone font carved with initials and date RB EM 1662. Tall octagonal wooden font cover, probably of similar date, sides hinged to enable front four panels to open out in two leaves; arcaded sides, moulded and modillioned cornice with vase finial to each corner, and tall central finial.
Monuments: moulded pointed-arched C14 tomb recess with cinquefoiled soffit and remains of triangular pediment to east end of south wall of south chancel chapel. Tablet on south wall of south chancel chapel to Edward Cole, Gent., d.1757, and family, and erected c.1803. Inscription flanked by spiky foliage and tapering reeded columns. Moulded plinth, shaped base-plate with cherub's head, moulded cornice with urns and grey marble obelisk with draped urn in relief. Tablet on east wall of north side of nave to George Maplesden, d.1688, erected after 1755. Inscription flanked by inverted scrolls. Plinth moulded and consoled. Moulded triangular pediment surmounted by coat of arms and armoured arm carrying axe-head, set against triangular obelisk surmounted by small gadrooned urn. Stained glass by Patrick Reyntiens, 1962, to three chancel windows; north and south abstract, east with Christ in Majesty flanked by angel with trumpet and angel with lance.
Listing NGR: TQ7442344641
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 174692
Legacy System: LBS
Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: West Kent and the Weald, (1980)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing