CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1054931
Date first listed:
18-Jan-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054931 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 15:58:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
Daventry (District Authority)
Parish:
Farthingstone
National Grid Reference:
SP 61320 55007

Details

FARTHINGSTONE SP6155 14/65 Church of St. Mary 18/01/68 GV II* Church. Late C13, restored 1852, 1872; and 1924-28 by Talbot Brown & Fisher. Coursed squared ironstone, tile roofs. Chancel, vestry (north side), nave, north nave chapel, south porch, west tower. East window has 3 lights, intersecting tracery and hood-mould with label stops. On north side of chancel C19 vestry flanked by simple 2-light geometrical windows. To south a 3-light window with intersecting tracery, and hood mould with label stops, pointed arch priests door, and single lancet window with hood-mould to left. On north side of nave at east end a 2-bay chapel with lean-to roof, and 2-light leaded windows with hood-moulds to north and east. A single lancet to west. C19 stone extension with plank door in pointed arch with hood-mould. Arched door in middle of north side of nave. South side of nave has a 3-light window left of porch, a two-light window to far left, both Perpendicular, a 3-light window, to right of porch, and all with hood-moulds. 3 2-light clerestory windows in rectangular splayed frames above porch. South porch has 4-centred moulded arch , gable and plain parapet. 4-centred moulded arch south door within. Nave has chamfered plinth, a plain coped parapet with pinnacles to south-west and north-west corners. West tower has 3 stages, a pointed arch south door, a west window, strings at floor level, and small rectangular windows to middle stage on north and south sides. Belfry stage has 2-light traceried window; crenellated parapet and corner pinnacles. Interior: chancel has 2-seat sedilia and piscina, C19 encaustic-tiled floor to sanctuary and choir, C19 stone reredos and timber barrel-vault roof of 1924. Renewed chancel arch. North nave chapel has ovolo and hallow-chamfered arch to nave with octagonal pillar to west and corbel respond to east; small bracket to right of east window with leaf carving. Renewed Queen-post roof to nave. Fine set of mid C19 pews with carved poppyheads to nave and chancel. C19 stained glass east window, other C20 stained glass. Early C19 chamber organ in north have chapel, painted Royal Arms of George IV in tower. Early C18, early and late C19 wall monuments; plain octagonal tub font.

Listing NGR: SP6132055007

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
360555
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/06653/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael E. Megeary. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].