CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1055014
Date first listed: 21-Mar-1968
Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055014 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 24-Apr-2019 at 21:28:36.
Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish: Worthen with Shelve
National Grid Reference: SJ 32835 04682
WORTHEN C.P. WORTHEN
SJ 30 SW
5/164 Church of All Saints - 21.3.68 GV I
Parish church. Late C12 and C13 with chancel of 1761, whole restored 1846-7 and 1924. Mainly uncoursed limestone rubble with red sandstone ashlar dressings; red brick chancel; slate roofs. Nave, chancel, north tower, south porch and south-east vestry. Tower: C12 to string course with large slabs of shillet forming alternating angle quoins, massive buttresses (probably C17) to east and west sides; Perpendicular top stage has cusped 2-light openings with quatrefoils above, C18 parapet with plain corner obelisks and shallow pyramidal roof with lead spirelet and brass weathercock; 2 rectangular chamfered windows to north face with clock above; C12 round-headed doorway below has crudely chamfered voussoirs and C17 plank door. Long nave with roughly hewn sandstone quoins to north-east and north-west angles has C19 windows with geometrical tracery to left and right of tower with 017 buttress to far left; west window of 4 lights with simple panel tracery is also C19 (as is cinquefoiled cusped roundel above) but is said to be a copy of a Perpendicular window. South side has 4 large C17 buttresses and two C19 windows with cusped geometrical tracery to left and right; window with reticulated tracery immediately to left of third buttress from west also apparently C19: late C17 gabled timber porch has roughly turned balusters to sides and collar and tie beam roof, C19 fretted bargeboards and finial; C13 pointed south doorway has continuous moulding and hoodmould. Chancel: has 2 round-headed windows with gauged heads on north and one on south and east; dentilled eaves cornice and coped verges to east gable: black stone gabled vestry added to south 1846. Interior: magnificent C14 nave roof of upper cruck construction in 7 bays has arch-braced collars with cusped V-struts and 4 tiers of purlins (upper 3 moulded), restored when C18 plaster ceil removed in 1924. The other principal feature is seating to nave and chancel; Jacobean box pews with variety of patterns (mainly round-headed arches) with pendant knobs and cock's head hinges, cut down and rearranged 1846, to both sides of nave and to centre at rear; that to front on north (squire's pew) with Kynnaston family coat- of-arms; open wooden benches also with pendant knobs (generally squatter than those to pews) in centre to front of nave probably C16 but it has been suggested they are medieval and were remodelled in C17; further Jacobean woodwork incorporated in choir stalls. C13 pointed north doorway (leading to tower) has panelled door made up from dismantled pews c.1931; plain octagonal font heavily scraped and with 019 circular base is probably C14 or C15. Pointed chancel arch probably C14, reconstructed 1761 when present chancel built. This retains C18 texts on wooden boards, pedimented to east wall and with moulded entablatures on north and south; plaster ceil with moulded cornice 1785-6 and Jacobean communion table. Late C19 and C20 stained glass in vicious windows throughout church and two C19 boards recording benefactions to church in vestry. Monument: south chancel wall; memorial to Dr. Daniel Price, rector, Dean of Hereford and Chaplain to Charles I, died 1631 but dated 1633: strapwork achievement flanked by debased Ionic columns and surmounted by coat-of-arms. Although not recorded in Domesday, the church at Worthen is of pre-Conquest origin and the large size of the parish suggests that it may have been a minster. B.O.E. p.325; D. H. S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 7 (1905) pp. 553-55 and Appendix p.1017.
Listing NGR: SJ3283304682
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 257494
Legacy System: LBS
Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 553-55
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 325
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing