CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1055017
Date first listed:
21-Mar-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055017 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 08:11:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Bedstone
National Grid Reference:
SO 36888 75745

Details

BEDSTONE C.P. BEDSTONE SO 37 NE Church of St 8/1 Mary 21.3.68 II* GV

Parish church. C12, repaired in 1851 and restored by Kempson of Hereford in 1879. Roughly coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; timber framed bellcote: machine tile roofs have overhanging eaves and corbelled scissor-bracing to east gable of chancel and west gable of nave; iron crosses to east gables of nave and chancel. Nave with west bellcote; chancel; store shed on north. Bellcote: probably C17 but extensively restored C19 and C20. Timber framed with oak-shingled broach spire surmounted by brass weathercock. 3 pointed louvred windows to belfry on each side. Nave: buttresses at north-west and south-west angles have stone slate caps. Late C19 windows on north and south sides comprise 4 round-headed openings alternating with 3 similar blind arches; continuous cills. Small C12 round-headed window to east on south. West end has late C19 round-headed window above contemporary Romanesque-style doorway with chevron decoration to arch. Chancel: small C12 round-headed window on north. Taller C19 round-headed window on south. East wall has late C19 round- headed windows to left and right and one above to centre. Smaller round- headed window to apex appears to incorporate some earlier (presumably C12) stone-work. C19 lean-to shed on north in angle with nave has round- headed doorway on east and window on west. Interior. C19 trussed rafter roofs with scissor-bracing to nave and chancel with large tie beam at west end of nave supporting bellcote. Low C12 round-headed chancel arch has plain chamfered imposts; deep splays to C12 windows. C12 tub-shaped font has plain semi-circular band to centre and lead lining. Communion table incorporating C18 turned balusters from former communion rails has initials "EAM" and date "1721" inscribed. Other fittings and furnishings late C19, including 4 stained glass windows by Kempe in north wall in memory of Joseph Henry Brown, rector of Bedstone (1878-99). East window (c.1879) commemorates his wife, Annie (died 1872). Monuments. 2 plain early C19 wall memorials over east side of chancel arch. The 1879 restor- ation cost about £1,200. B.o.E. p. 71; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 5 (1901) pp. 376-7; Kell's Directory of Shropshire (1900) p.29.

Listing NGR: SO3688875745

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
257501
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 376-7
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 71
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1900), 29

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Nov 2006
Reference: IOE01/14598/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Summers. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].