CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1055057
Date first listed:
14-Nov-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055057 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2019 at 00:26:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Chirbury with Brompton
National Grid Reference:
SO 29718 99342

Details

CHIRBURY C.P. MIDDLETON SO 29 NE

8/68 Church of Holy Trinity -

- II

Chapel of ease, now parish church. 1843 by Edward Haycock. Uncoursed limestone and shale rubble with ashlar dressings; machine tile roofs have coped verges on stone kneelers. Nave, chancel with polygonal apse, transepts, south-west vestry and west porch; lancet style. Nave: in 2 bays; lancets with hoodmoulds and moulded string course carried around rest of church on north; gabled west porch and bellcote to west gable. Transepts: have paired lancets in north and south walls, former with hoodmoulds; south transept with lean-to vestry abutting on west. Short one-bay chancel has polygonal apse with lancets to easternmost sides, all with hoodmoulds. Interior: multi-strutted collar and tie beam roof in 5 bays to nave presumably by Haycock and wooden board in north transept commemorates erection of chapel in 1843. Nearly all the fittings and furnishings are the work of Revd. Waldegrave Brewster, vicar from 1872 to 1901. Between 1876 and 1884 he carved the capitals of the octagonal red sandstone transept pillars with signs of the Zodiac (south) and agricultural scenes (north), the corbels to the sanctuary arch (woman's head on north and green man on south) and the stone corbel heads to the sanctuary's wooden vaulting. He was also responsible for the mosaic altar and dado panelling, font and the carved bench ends in the nave and chancel, the former with a variety of animal, human and grotesque heads. Also dating from his incumbency are the painted mural decoration, the altar rail with its twisted iron supports and the wrought-iron candelabra fixed to nave walls and benches. Stained glass in sanctuary by Kempe and Tower (1915). The parish of Middleton was created in 1845 out of parts of Chirbury and Church Stoke (Powys). B.O.E. p.199; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 7 (1905) p.551.

Listing NGR: SO2971899342

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
257393
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 551

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Apr 2005
Reference: IOE01/14030/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Helmut Schulenburg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].