Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055105.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Dec-2021 at 03:16:19.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:




Longner Hall and short section of forecourt wall adjoining to north west (formerly listed as Longner Hall with stable wing and clock tower)

The grade shall be amended to read: I.


SJ 51 SW; 3/53



Longner Hall and short section of forecourt wall adjoining to north-west (formerly listed as Longner Hall with stable wing and clock tower)


Country house. 1803, by John Nash on site of earlier house. Red sandstone ashlar with grey sandstone ashlar dressings and details; red brick and rendered brick to rear of service wing; plain tile roof, 2-span over main range. Irregular L-plan; main block with 2 ranges with gabled cross-wing to west and service wing projecting at north-west corner; Tudor Gothic Revival style. 2 storeys. Plinth, moulded cornice, battlemented parapet, and parapeted gables with diagonal corner pinnacles at feet and pinnacles at apices; ashlar stacks with octagonal shafts and moulded caps; ridge stacks with paired shafts, to front ridge of main range and to cross-wing stack in valley of main range, and external lateral stacks to north-east of main range and south-west of cross-wing with 3 and 2 shafts respectively. Square-headed casements with 4-centred arched lights, glazing bars with Y-tracery, and hoodmoulds. South (garden) front: gabled wing to left has 2-storey flat-topped canted bay with panelled tracery to 6-light windows, Gothic panelled framing between, and 2-light louvred attic opening above; main range set back to right with 2 first-floor 2-light casements and 3 pairs of ground-floor French casements with 4-centred arches within square heads, and hoodmoulds; grey sandstone loggia in angle, 4 bays to front and returned along east front in 3 bays; buttresses rising to pinnacles, and battlemented parapet; 4-centred moulded arches with probably later glazing in front arches and one arch to east, consisting of 2 lights with Y-traceried glazing bars and panelled tracery above; panelled soffit with carved bosses, and brackets with pierced spandrels resting on corbels Right-hand return front: first-floor 2-light casement above loggia to left with 2-light louvred attic opening in gable end above; gabled range projecting to right. 2-storey flat-topped canted bay with panelled tracery to 6-light windows, and Gothic panelled framing between. Left-hand return front: 2 first-floor canted flat-topped oriel windows with 4-light casements and scalloped bases with carved bottom finials; ground-floor French casements to left with Y-tracery glazing bars, 4-centred arch and 4-part overlight; adjoining terrace was base of former conservatory in angle of west front and south front of service wing (q.v.); similar in style to the surviving loggia it was demolished in the 1930s. North (entrance) front: asymmetrical composition, projecting slightly to right; central 2-light casement, stack to left, and large 3-light staircase window to right with panelled tracery and chamfered reveals; central porch with angle buttresses, battlemented parapet with corner pinnacles, 4-centred arches to front and left with trefoil-panelled spandrels, and quadripartite lierne vault with carved boss; square-headed 4-centred arched entrance with moulded surround and pair of 2-panelled doors with 5-light panelled traceried overlight. Mounting block adjoining to right dated 1676. Short section of low fore- court wall adjoining porch to left with plinth, Gothic balustrading, coping, and panelled square end pier. Service wing: L-plan, returned to north- west. Ridge stacks off-centre to left and right with paired octagonal shafts, integral brick stack in right-hand corner, and 2 brick ridge stacks to returned wing. 8 bays; 2-light casements; corbelled first-floor square oriel window in fourth bay from right, pinnacled gable over right-hand bay with 2-storey canted bay; projecting clock tower over porch in third bay from right: 3 stages; moulded plinth, side buttresses to first stage, string between first and second stages, panelled clasping buttresses and battlemented parapet to third stage, and octagonal belfry with pinnacled buttresses, ogee-headed lancet openings with finialled-hoodmoulds, battlemented parapet, and ogee lead dome with weathervane; louvred second stage openings with paired cusped lights, chamfered reveals, and hoodmoulds with carved stops, lozenge-shaped clock to front; small rectangular first-stage windows with returned hoodmoulds high up in sides, chamfered-arched entrance has hoodmould with carved shields as stops; rear of service range has short stub of wall to now-demolished conservatory projecting at south-west corner with triple-shafted stack, 2-storey canted bay to south-west, projecting short gabled wing, and pent-roofed loggia in angle of return wing to north-east with circular and octagonal sandstone columns. Interior: small vaulted entrance lobby; Staircase Hall: corridor has 5 plaster fan vaults with pendants, and fireplace with quatrefoil surround and shields; staircase off rising to landing in one flight and returning in 2 with wreathed wrought iron balustrade and apsidal end with ribs rising to Gothic frieze; staircase window contains glass by David Evans depicting 3 figures, one of them Edward Burton who died at Longner in 1558 and whose memorial is set in the grounds; ground-floor fan vault forms semi-circular balcony to first-floor vaulted corridor; Library: ceiling has central shallow quadripartite fan vault with pendants and vaulted narrow encompassing band; 4-centred arched fireplace and Gothic pelmets; Drawing Room: Gothic frieze; Dining Room: circa 1803. Gothic frieze; colour scheme, stencilling, Neo-Jacobean chimney-piece and flat-panelled ceiling are probably alterations by E. Swinfen Harris of 1884; possibly re-used 3-flight square-well back staircase with turned balusters, columnar newel and ramped moulded handrail; Gothic-panelled doors and friezes throughout house; some Gothic furniture, especially that in the Dining Room, was probably designed for the house circa 1803. Nash worked with Humphry Repton at Longner; Repton landscaped the grounds 1803-4 and his Red Book for the work is kept in the house. Longner is the only complete large surviving example of Nash's Tudor style. B.o.E. p.173; Terence Davis, The Architecture of John Nash, Studio (1960), Pp.28 and 66-8; Kelly's Directory for Shropshire (1909), Pp.27-8; J. Summerson, The Life and Work of John Nash. Architect, London (1980), p.42.

Listing NGR: SJ5287511043


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Davis, T, The Architecture of John Nash, (1960), 28, 66-8
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 173
Summerson, J, The Life and Work of John Nash, (1980)
'Kellys Directory' in Herefordshire and Shropshire, (1909), 27-28
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 35 Shropshire,


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].