ADCOTE AND ADJOINING FORECOURT WALLS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- ADCOTE AND ADJOINING FORECOURT WALLS
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055113.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2019 at 04:45:21.
- Statutory Address:
- ADCOTE AND ADJOINING FORECOURT WALLS
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
- Little Ness
- National Grid Reference:
- SJ 41847 19391
LITTLE NESS C.P.
SJ 41 NW
5/133 Adcote and adjoining
forecourt walls (formerly
2.7.71 listed as Adcote)
Country house. 1876-81 (dated 1879). By Richard Norman Shaw for Mrs. Rebecca Darby. Red sandstone ashlar with some timber frame to north. Plain tile roofs. Irregular plan with great hall and staircase behind entrance range. In a free Elizabethan style. West (entrance) front: 2 storeys and attics. Plinth, moulded string course over first floor, and gabled parapet with chamfered coping with gabled kneelers, running over 3 regularly arranged gables. Gable parapet to left-with stack consisting of tall paired brick shafts with oversailing cap and right-hand gable end has projecting stone stack with gabled crowsteps rising to taller paired brick shafts with oversailing caps. Various further tall brick stacks to rear of range. Very small 2-light blind windows with chamfered reveals and mullions in apices of gables over paired 3-light windows with chamfered surrounds and mullions, and dripstones. Irregularly arranged to first floor below are, to right, paired 3-light chamfered mullioned and transomed windows, and to left 2 canted oriels rising from string course with carved foliate ornament, 2:6:2 lights, and moulded parapets; paired cross windows between. Ground floor with large 5-light mullioned and transomed window to right, paired 2-light windows off-centre to right and small cross window to left. Moulded Tudor-arched doorway off-centre to left with pair of panelled doors, carved spandrels, square surround and hoodmould and paired 2-light overlights. Hall range set back to right with huge full-height square bay consisting of 8-light mullioned and transomed window (with king mullion and 2 lights to right-hand return), moulded cornice and battlemented parapet with hipped roof behind. Forecourt walls adjoining entrance front. Red sandstone ashlar with chamfered coping. Gateways to front and left- hand side, each with pair of square piers and pair of wright-iron gates. Garden gateways adjoining house at each end of wall, each with Tudor archway, wrought-iron gate and superscribed datestone above: "18 RD 79". South front: gable end of hall range to left with chamfered plinth, stepped string course, and 3 tall buttresses with chamfered offsets. Tall 2- light mullioned and transomed windows flanking central buttress, with blind panels below and continuous stepped hoodmould. Paired 2-light attic windows in gable with cill moulding and pair of small ground-floor windows, each with 2 ogee- headed lights. Shallow-gabled range set-back to right, with 3-light attic window, paired first-floor cross windows, and large ground-floor 7-light mullioned and transomed window with dripstone. East front: the principal features of this front include: brick end stack to. left with tall paired shafts and projecting lateral stack to front off-centre to right with chamf- ered offsets and 3 brick shafts, the centre one square; 3-storey canted bay to left with string courses, dripmoulds, battlemented parapet and mull- ioned and transomed windows of 2:2:2 lights; 2 large gabled dormers to right with mullioned windows, and 4 mullioned and transomed windows to ground and first floors. Arcaded garden loggia in angle to left of 2 + 2 bays, with panelled parapet. Extensive service range to north. Windows with leaded lights throughout, those to the hall bay of a lattice pattern. Fine interior including entrance hall with steps, leading to vast 4-bay full-height hall: large moulded transverse stone arches, springing from moulded stone corbels and supporting a crown post roof construction. Stone fireplace consisting of short colonnettes with foliate capitals and tall tapered hood. Passage at north end and wooden screen, with gallery over, incorporating embossed leather panels and continuous bench with balus- trade. Jettied timber framed wall in gable to north, with leaded wooden attic casements. Tall moulded arch to bay at south end. Plain dog-leg staircase rising from screens passage and returning on the axis of the hall. Panelled dining room with fitted dresser, and large stone inglenook with moulded arch springing from foliate capitals, smaller fireplace set inside, and de Morgan tiles in reveals. Further rooms with complete fixtures and fittings, including library, drawing room and billiard room. First-floor rooms not inspected. The house stands within a landscaped park. Adcote is "recognised as Shaw's maturest house of the 1870s" (Saint). B.o.E., pp. 52-3; Andrew Saint, Richard Norman Shaw (1976), pp. 100-2, 110-11 and 416; Mark Girouard, The Victorian Country House (1979), pp. 359-365; Country Life, Vol. XXVI, 25 December 1909, pp. 912-921.
Listing NGR: SJ4184719391
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 52-53
Saint, A, Richard Norman Shaw, (1976), 100 416
'Country Life' in 25 December, (1909), 912-921
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing