CHURCH OF SAINT CHAD
Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1055118
Date first listed: 13-Jun-1958
Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT CHAD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055118 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Mar-2019 at 04:43:30.
Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT CHAD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference: SJ 41888 14776
MONTFORD C.P. MONTFORD
SJ 41 SW
9/147 Church of Saint Chad
Parish church. 1735-8, by William Cooper of Shrewsbury, restored and porch added in 1884. Dressed red sandstone with red and yellow/grey sandstone ashlar dressings. Slate roofs. Three-bay nave with north porch, one-bay chancel, and west tower. Tower: 3 stages. Tall chamfered plinth, chamfered offsets, and chamfered-offset to battlemented parapet with chamfered coping. Weathervane. Round-arched 2-light louvred belfry openings, each with curved Y-tracery, and staff-moulded architrave with impost blocks and keystone. Second-stage with keyed oculus to west and round-arched 2-light windows to north and south, each with curved Y-tracery and architrave (moulded to arch ) with impost blocks and keystone. Small first-stage round-arched windows to north and south, each with leaded glazing and architrave (moulded to arch) with imposts and keystone. Blocked round-arched west doorway with moulded architrave and keystone. Circa 1884 lean-to to south with chamfered plinth, parapet to side with moulded stone coping, chamfered circular window to west and nail-studded boarded door to south with strap hinges. Clock above second-stage window to north. Nave: high chamfered plinth (rubblestone sub-plinth), moulded stone eaves cornice, and parapeted gable ends with stone copings, that to left with c.1884 cross at apex. Round-arched 2-light windows, each with curved Y- tracery,and surround with moulded cill, flanking pilasters with raised and fielded panels, and moulded arch with keystone. Small round-arched window to right of north doorway, inserted in 1884, with plain architrave, imposts and keystone. North doorway inserted in 1884; chamfered round arch with impost mouldings, hoodmould, panelled keystone with moulded top and fluted base, and pair of nail-studded boarded doors with strap hinges. Porch with chamfered plinth and parapeted gable with moulded coping and cross at apex. Chamfered round arch with impost mouldings, raised panelled keystone with moulded top and fluted lower part, and hoodmould; pair of nail-studded boarded doors with strap hinges. Chamfered circular windows to sides. Side benches within. Tablet in nave wall to left of porch, inscribed in memory of Hannah Williams, d. 23. July 1820. Chancel: chamfered plinth, moulded stone eaves cornice and parapeted gable end with moulded coping and cross at apex. Round-arched 3-light east window with surround consisting of moulded cill, flanking pilasters with raised and fielded panels, and moulded arch with keystone. C19 window inserted to south with 2 moulded depressed-arched lights. Interior: C18 five-bay roof consisting of king-post trusses with cambered tie-beams, pairs of purlins and probably C19 wall plate with billet ornament. Chancel roof with late C19 trefoil-barrel boarding and moulded wallplate and ribs. Round chancel arch on corbels. West gallery of 1:1:1 bays with 2 cast- iron columns supporting frieze and cornice, and front with raised and fielded panels, dies with raised and fielded panels, and moulded rail. North door with chamfered rear arch. C18 oak door to tower with 6 raised and fielded panels. Fittings: C18 raised and fielded oak dado panelling to nave and chancel, ramped up to east (possibly remains of former box pews). C19 reredos with figures. Possibly C18 free-standing oak column to left of altar. C20 oak altar rails with turned balusters. C20 oak choir stalls. C19 wooden pulpit, lectern and pews. C19 octagonal painted stone font with step and iron-bound wooden cover. Probably C19 rood above chancel arch. Royal coat of arms under gallery (painted on canvas). Some C19 stained glass. Encaustic tiles to sanctuary. There is known to have been a church on this site in the C13. A brief for the rebuilding of the church, for £1482, was issued in 1733-4. William Cooper was admitted as a member of the Company of Carpenters, Tylers and Brickmakers of Shrewsbury on 29 June 1727. To the north of the chancel lies a stone (not included on this list) inscribed: "This Chancel / of Montfort / was Built in / the Year 1737". The 1884 restoration cost £700. The church stands in an exposed position high above the River Severn. The parents of Charles Darwin are buried in the churchyard. B.O.E., p. 203; D.H.S.. Cranage, An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire (Part 9), pp. 766-7; Colvin, p. 233; Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire and Shropshire (1900), p. 150.
Listing NGR: SJ4188814776
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 259212
Legacy System: LBS
Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 233
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 766-767
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 203
'Kelly's Directory' in Cambridgeshire, (1900), 150
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing