The Almshouses, and adjoining forecourt and garden walls

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1055129

Date first listed: 29-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 27-Nov-1987

Statutory Address: The Almshouses, and adjoining forecourt and garden walls, 1-14, Berwick Road

Map

Ordnance survey map of The Almshouses, and adjoining forecourt and garden walls
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055129 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2018 at 01:37:52.

Location

Statutory Address: The Almshouses, and adjoining forecourt and garden walls, 1-14, Berwick Road

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Pimhill

National Grid Reference: SJ 47487 14778

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 41 SE SJ 4748 1477; 10/81

BOMERE HEATH C.P., BERWICK ROAD (west side), Nos. 1-14 (consec.), The Almshouses, and adjoining forecourt and garden walls

(formerly listed as Berwick Almshouses)

29.01.52

GV

II*

Row of almshouses and adjoining walls. Dated 1672, built at the expense of Sir Samuel Jones. Red brick with plain tile roofs. U-plan around square courtyard with enclosing wall to south. One storey and attic.

Moulded brick string courses above ground-floor windows, parapeted gable ends, large full brick gabled eaves dormers with segmental-headed two-light wooden casements, and integral brick lateral stacks to rear with pitched-roofed links to attics and paired diagonally-placed square shafts. Segmental-headed two-light wooden casements and mainly segmental-headed boarded doors. North range of eleven windows with door between first and second windows from left and two to right, one early C19 with six flush panels and three-part rectangular overlight; six dormers and two stacks. The fourth, fifth, eighth and ninth windows from the left were formerly doorways (see straight joints beneath).

West range of nine windows with door between fourth and fifth windows from left; five dormers and three stacks. The first, fourth, seventh and eighth windows from the left were formerly doorways (see straight joints beneath). East range of nine windows, with door between fourth and fifth windows from right. Five dormers and four stacks. The first, fourth, seventh and eighth windows from right were formerly doorways (see straight joints beneath). Gable ends to front with segmental-headed two-light wooden casements, cross windows to ground floor (left-hand ground-floor window blocked but frame survives).

Red brick enclosing wall to south (right-hand part looks partially rebuilt in mid-C20) with chamfered grey sandstone coping. Central grey sandstone ashlar gateway with chamfered rustication, ovolo-moulded elliptical archway with rusticated voussoirs and moulded imposts, frieze and moulded cornice, and large semi-circular pediment with globe finial and carved coat of arms in tympanum. Ashlar flanking walls with chamfered coping, stepped up to gateway with carved scrolls. Inscription to frieze largely illegible at time of survey (January 1987). C17 brick walls enclosing gardens at rear, with stepped grey sandstone coping.

The almshouses were founded by Sir Samuel Jones in 1670 for sixteen old people, each receiving £10 a year. The inscription on the gateway, largely illegible at the time of survey is known to read: "These Almshouses and Chappel were Given / and Endow'd by Sr Samuel Jones Knight / Anno Domini 1672".

The almshouses and chapel (q.v.) stand in the parkland around Berwick House (q.v.).

Listing NGR: SJ4750414764

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 259142

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 847
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 74
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1900), 130

End of official listing