Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1055140
Date first listed: 27-May-1953
Date of most recent amendment: 27-Nov-1987
Statutory Address: ALDERTON HALL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055140 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 24-Apr-2019 at 21:08:23.
Statutory Address: ALDERTON HALL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish: Great Ness
National Grid Reference: SJ 38551 17345
GREAT NESS C.P. -
SJ 31 NE
4/109 Alderton Hall (formerly
27.5.53 listed as Alderton Farmhouse)
House, latterly farmhouse. Dated 1591 (internally) for Richard Heylin. Altered internally in the late C17, extended in the late C18 and remodelled in the early to mid-C19. Rendered timber frame with slate roofs. L-plan. Hall range to rear at right-angles to road of 3 framed bays, with cross wing to front of 2 framed bays. Two storeys, with cross wing of 2 storeys and attic. North-east front: jettied first floor to front, left-hand side,and to rear, with moulded bressumer, jettied gable end to left with moulded bressumer, and C19 pierced scalloped barge boards with finials. Probably inserted late C17 integral brick corner stack to right at front and large external lateral stack to rear with high chanfered grey sandstone base, brick upper part with toothed-brick cornice, 3 star-shaped brick shafts with oversailing tops, and pitched-roofed link to attic. Large central gable with 2-light wooden attic casement, pair of first-floor small-paned 2-light metal casements, and 3 ground-floor wooden mullioned and transomed windows. 3-light to left, 2-light to right and one-light to centre. Right-hand gable end with ground-and first-floor wooden cross windows and 2-light attic casement. Left-hand gable end with 2-light attic casement and mortices for former brackets to gable. C16 three-light chamfered-mullioned wooden first-floor window to rear. Rear wing (hall range); south-east front: central timber framed 2-storey gabled porch with ground-floor rebuilt in the C18, jettied on 3 sides with moulded bressumer, remains of quatrefoil panels to first floor, and C19 barge boards. Ground-floor early C18 boxed glazing bar sash. First-floor window removed and wall partly dismantled at time of survey (January 1987). C18 brick infill to right of porch . C19 dormer and external brick end stack to left. Extended to front at left in C18 brick with dentil brick eaves cornice. North-west front: 3 windows; wooden cross windows, except for 3-light ground-floor window to right. Late C18 door to centre with 6 flush panels (upper 2 glazed), moulded architrave and C19 gabled porch (former entrance between first and second window from right). Interior: mainly late C16 and late C17, with many fixtures and fittings surviving from both periods. Ground-floor rear room (hall range): chamfered cross-beamed ceiling with ogee stops, the main beams carved and with evidence of possible former inscription to centre (now defaced). One carved wall bracket. Open fireplace. C17 oak panelling with fluted frieze and moulded cornice. Pair of c.1700 doors with 2 raised and fielded panels. Interior of former porch with panelling and moulded cornice. Ground-floor left-hand front room (cross wing): C17 oak panelling with possibly C19 fluted frieze and dentil cornice. Fireplace of c.1700 with marble slip, lugged architrave with wooden moulding, moulded cornice (remains of C17 fluted frieze behind) and overmantel above, consisting of 2 moulded square panels which each have a carved lozenge with a Tudor rose within. Chamfered spine beam with ogee stops. Right-hand ground-floor room (cross wing); refitted in the late C17. Deep-chamfered ceiling beam. Panelling corner fireplace with bolection-moulded architrave, pulvinated frieze, moulded cornice, and bolection-moulded panel above with section of moulded cornice above that. Shell niche in corner including a pair of doors with 3 raised and fielded panels each, and a surround with flanking fluted pilasters, moulded architrave with fluted key, and dentil cornice above. Old panelled door with cock's head hinges. Staircase hall to centre: C17 oak panelling(along with some in the rear room this was removed from Rigg's Hall at Shrewsbury School and installed here in the late C20) with schoolboys' graffiti and Greek key ornament to cornice. Late C17 dog-leg oak staircase rising to attic, with closed string, ovolo-moulded wall string, drop balusters, chamfered handrail (grip handrail to attic flight) and square newel posts with beaded corners, moulded shaped caps and pendants. Thick pierced splat balusters to attic flight. Moulded plaster-panelled soffit. Rear bedroom (hall range): C17 panelling with moulded cornice and corner fireplace with raised and fielded panelling. Left-hand front bedroom (cross wing): C17 panelling including 6-panelled door with cock's head hinges. Fireplace with C19 surround consisting of Doric pilasters with panels above, C17 or C18 Delft-type tiles in reveals,and C16 three-bay overmantel consisting of round-arched outer panels, central panel-in- panel, pilasters, and frieze with guilloche and other ornament. Overmantel dated: 1591 Roof over hall range with pairs of purlins RH and cross-wing roof with single purlins and cross-wing roof with single purlins and wind braces. Wattle and daub panels. Revd. F. Brighton, The Story of Great Ness (1933),pp. 95-7 .
Listing NGR: SJ3855117345
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 259172
Legacy System: LBS
Books and journals
Brighton, Reverend F , The Story of Great Ness, (1933), 95-97
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing