CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY
Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1055149
Date first listed: 27-Nov-1987
Statutory Address: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH LANE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055149 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 25-Mar-2019 at 03:20:42.
Statutory Address: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference: SJ 44801 14872
BICTON C.P. CHURCH LANE (north side)
SJ 41 SW
9/31 Church of the Holy Trinity
Parish church. 1885-7, by Mr. A.E. Lloyd Oswell of Shrewsbury. Snecked dressed Alberbury and Redhill breccia with red/grey sandstone ashlar dressings, including bands. Plain tile roofs. 3-bay nave and south aisle, south porch, 2-bay chancel, north vestry and south-east tower in angle of chancel and aisle. In an early Decorated Gothic style. Tower: 3 stages. Double-chamfered plinth, diagonal buttresses with chamfered offsets, string course to belfry, string course below parapet, parapet string course and battlemented ashlar parapet with moulded coping. Square south-west stair turret with chamfered offsets, broaches to ashlar octagonal top stage with arrow loops and battlemented parapet, chamfered rectangular staircase windows, and nail-studded boarded south door at base with strap hinges, chamfered reveals, shaped heads and flanking buttresses with chamfered offsets and trefoil-gabled tops. Belfry openings of 2 louvred trefoil-headed lights with quatrefoils in tracery, hollow-chamfered reveals and hoodmoulds with scrolled stops. Second stage with hollow- chamfered lancet to south and chamfered trefoil-headed lancets to east and west. Ground-floor chamfered lancet to east with moulded cill and hood- mould with scrolled stops, and 2-light window to south with quatrefoil in tracery, hollow-chamfered reveals, returned hoodmould, and cill string. Clock below belfry to south. Nave: chamfered plinth, buttresses with chamfered offsets (angle buttresses to west), cill string course, chamfered stone eaves, and parapeted gable ends with stone copings, crosses at apices and string at apex to west. Two-light north-west window and two 3-light north-east windows, with trefoils and quatrefoils in tracery, hollow- chamfered reveals, moulded cills with scrolled stops, and returned hoodmoulds. Four-light east-window with Y-tracery incorporating 3 cinquefoiled circles, hollow-chamfered reveals and returned hoodmould. South aisle: chamfered plinth, buttresses with chamfered offsets (angle buttresses to west) and chamfered stone eaves, and parapeted end walls with stone copings. Two pairs of chamfered lancets. Two-light west window with quatrefoil in tracery, hollow-chamfered reveals, hoodmould with scrolled steps, and cill string course. South doorway in left-hand bay with chamfered arch, hoodmould with scrolled stops, and nail-studded boarded door with strap hinges. Porch with chamfered plinth, low angle buttresses, and parapeted gable with coping, cross at apex and string course in apex with 3 stepped flutes above. Moulded archway including one order of shafts with moulded capitals and bases, chamfered inner arch,hollow-chamfered outer arch, and hoodmould with carved heads as stops. Low paired lancets to sides. Interior of porch with trussed-rafter roof, chamfered segmental rear arches and side benches. Chancel: double-chamfered plinth, buttresses with chamfered offsets (angle buttresses to east), moulded cill string, stepped up to east window, chamfered stone eaves, and parapeted gable end with stone coping and cross at apex. Internal lateral stack to north with weathering, chamfered offsets to sides, each having gables above with 3 stepped flutes, and circular shaft with trefoil panels to moulded cap. East window of 3 stepped lights with trefoils and quatrefoils in tracery, hollow-chamfered reveals and returned hoodmould. Foundation stone in plinth beneath window inscribed: "To the honour and Glory of God / this Stone was laid on 6th August 1885 / by the Rt. Revd. Bishop Bromly D.D: later Tasmania./ The site was given by Col. Wingfield. / G.N. Lloyd Vicar / Col. Wingfield ) Churchwardens". George Gittins ) North and south sides of chancel have trefoil-headed lancet with chamfered reveals and returned hoodmould. Vestry: one storey with attic. Chamfered plinth, chamfered cill string, buttresses with chamfered offsets, and parapeted gable with stone coping and string course and cross at apex. Two chamfered lancets to front and continuous hoodmould with scrolled stops, and quatrefoiled circle in gable above with returned hoodmould. Steps down to boarded crypt door to right. Doorway in left-hand return front with chamfered reveals, Caernarvon-arched head and nail-studded boarded door with strap hinges. Lean-to to right has boarded door to front with strap hinges and chamfered reveals and chamfered rectangular window to side. Interior: 3-bay south aisle arcade consisting of circular piers with moulded bases and capitals, double-chamfered arches and continuous hood- mould with scrolled stops; chamfered piers to left and right with carved foliate capitals. Moulded cill string to west wall of nave. Three-bay nave roof with cusped arched-braced scissor-braced trusses springing from small hammer beams with curved braces resting on moulded stone corbels; moulded wall plate, ashlar pieces, simpler intermediate trusses, and single purlins. Double-chamfered chancel arch, the inner springing from short wall shafts with moulded capitals and bases and resting on moulded corbels, the outer continuous: hoodmould with scrolled stops. Double- chamfered arch between south aisle and organ chamber beneath tower, the inner chamfer dying into responds. Double-chamfered vestry and tower arches to north and south of chancel, the inner chamfer springing from carved foliate corbels and the outer continuous; hoodmoulds, with scrolled stops to west and carved foliate stops to east. Moulded cill string at east end of chancel, sedilia beneath south window and piscina beneath north window, with scalloped bowl and side shelves. Trussed-rafter chancel roof with billet-ornamented moulded wall plate. Chamfered rear arches to windows throughout church, and south door with chamfered rear arch and hoodmould with scrolled tops. Complete fittings of c.1885-7: altar with 3-sided wooden screen consisting of circular columns with hangings between. Stone reredos has 2 moulded ogee trefoiled-arches to each side, with painted inscriptions (Lord's Prayer, Commandments and Creed). Wrought-iron altar rails with twisted stems, decorative brackets and wooden rail. Choir stalls. Boarded wooden vestry screen with billet-ornamented top rail. Plain organ to south with painted pipes. Low stone chancel screen with chamfered top and square piers; integral polygonal pulpit to left with stone base and wooden top with trefoil-headed open panels and billet-ornamented top rail. Wooden lectern consisting of 2 shafts with moulded bases and capitals and triangular-section top with carved quatrefoil panels and billet ornament. Pews. Circular marble font with octagonal step and iron-bound wooden cover; inscription to base of font: "To the glory of God and in memory of Sophia Cotes January 25 1885". Encaustic floor tiles. Stained glass: east window of 1892, by C.E. Kempe. South aisle glass of 1894, also by Kempe. Panel near south door with inscription: "THE ACETYLENE LIGHTING WAS / INSTALLED IN THIS CHURCH / IN 1913 TO COMMEMORATE THE / 25 YEARS MINISTRY OF THE / VICAR THE REV. F.S. EDWARDS". The old Church of the Holy Trinity (q.v.) in Bicton, now ruined, was a chapelry of the Church of Saint Chad in Shrewsbury. This building replaced the old church and Bicton was made a separate parish in 1885. The new church was consecrated by the Bishop of Lichfield on 16 Sept. 1887. It cost £3,400, the builder was Mr. Groves and the foreman carpenter was Mr. R. Yeomans, who also made and donated the lectern. B.O.E., p. 75; D.H.S. Cranage, An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire (Shrewsbury volume), pp. 850-1; Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire and Shropshire (1900), pp. 31-2.
Listing NGR: SJ4480114872
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 259091
Legacy System: LBS
Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 850-851
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 75
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1900), 31-32
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing