LAUNDRY COTTAGE ROSSALL COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1055153
Date first listed:
29-Jan-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
27-Nov-1987
Statutory Address:
LAUNDRY COTTAGE
Statutory Address:
ROSSALL COTTAGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of LAUNDRY COTTAGE
ROSSALL COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055153 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 00:24:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
LAUNDRY COTTAGE
Statutory Address:
ROSSALL COTTAGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Bicton
National Grid Reference:
SJ 46596 15248

Details

BICTON C.P. ROSSALL SJ 41 NE 6/39 Rossall Cottage and Laundry 29.1.52 Cottage (formerly listed as Rossdall Cottages)

- II

Former service block, now pair of cottages. Circa 1677 with some alterations and additions of 1965. Red brick with some painted stone dressings. C20 concrete tile roof. Formerly one of a pair of service blocks flanking the forecourt to the north-west of Rossall House (both the other service block and the house are now demolished). Two storeys. North-east front: dentil brick eaves cornice and parapeted gable ends with stone copings. External brick lateral stack off-centre to left at front and large brick stack off-centre to right at rear. 1:3:1 bays, central break with flat roof (formerly with large triangular pediment, now demolished); small-paned wooden cross windows with painted stone cills and gauged-brick heads with triple keystones. Inserted first-floor left-hand window and blind first- floor right-hand window. Central C20 half-glazed door with Gibbs surround. First-floor segmental-headed wooden cross window in right-hand gable end. Flat-roofed one-storey late C20 addition to right. Interior not inspected. Rossall, dated 1677, was built for Edward Gosnell, a London merchant who subsequently became Mayor of Shrewsbury, and was demolished in 1965. B.O.E., p. 235-6; Ed. Peter Reid, Burke's and Savills Guide to Country Houses. Vol. II, (1980), p. 111; N.M.R.

Listing NGR: SJ4659615248

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
259100
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 235-236
Reid, P, 'Burkes and Savills Guide to Country Houses' in Herefordshire Shropshire Warwickshire Worcestershire, (1980), 111

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].