CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055159.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 03-Mar-2021 at 00:17:18.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SJ 49738 18017
BOMERE HEATH C.P. ALBRIGHTON
SJ 41 NE
6/58 Church of Saint John
- the Baptist
Chapel of ease, now parish church. Nave of 1840-1, by John Carline of Shrewsbury (1792-1862), chancel added between 1867 and 1881 for Mr. W.M. Sparrow, and vestry and organ chamber added in 1906. 5-bay nave and south porch in a neo-Norman style and 2-bay chancel with polygonal apse, vestry and organ chamber to north in a Lancet Gothic style. Nave of tooled red sandstone ashlar and late C19 additions in coursed dressed red sandstone with ashlar dressings. Plain tile roofs, hipped over apse. Nave: pilaster strips, cill string, corbelled eaves bands and wide parapeted gable ends with copings and kneelers with carved grotesque masks. Buttresses to west with chamfered tops. Cross at apex to east and rectangular bellcote corbelled out at apex to west, with chamfered round-arched openings, gable to each face and wrought-iron weathervane. Deeply roll-moulded round-arched windows with diamond-leaded glazing. Roll-moulded south doorway in second bay from west; 2 boarded doors with strap hinges. South porch with gabled flanking buttresses and parapeted gable with stone coping and cross at apex. Roll-moulded round archway and small blind chamfered round arch in apex of gable above. Pairs of chamfered round-arched side windows. West end of nave has late C19 window of 3 ogee trefoil-headed lights with cusped reticulated tracery, hollow-chamfered reveals,moulded cill and returned hoodmould. Chancel: chamfered plinth, moulded cill string, and cross finial on hip to east. Chamfered lancets with hoodmoulds (continuous over south windows) ending in carved stops, and diamond leaded glazing. Vestry and organ chamber: one storey and attic. Chamfered plinth, stepped cill string at eaves level to north, parapeted gable to north with stone coping, and integral stone end stack with chamfered offsets and shaft with chamfered corners, moulded bands, and chamfered cap. Chamfered lancet in gable to north, and one-storey lean-to to east with chamfered rectangular window to left and boarded door to right with chamfered reveals and chamfered wooden lintel. Square section cast-iron downpipes with castellated rainwater heads. Interior: 4-bay nave roof with moulded wooden wall plate,purlins, and collar and tie-beam trusses with queen struts and curved braces. Nave windows with splayed jambs and west window with chamfered rear arch. 2-bay chancel roof with moulded wooden. wall plate, ashlar pieces, single purlins with cusped windbraces, chamfered arched-braced collar truss, and apse with radiating arched- braced principal rafters. Late C19 chancel arch, with chamfered outer order, moulded inner order, dying into reveals, and hoodmould with carved stops (that to left defaced). Chancel windows with chamfered rear arches. East windows have moulded cill string with carved stops, chamfered cusped rear arches, and continuous hoodmould with carved stops. Organ arch to north, chamfered jambs with broach stops at base and bar stops at top. Fittings: old oak communion table. C19 wooden altar rails and choir stalls. Plain C19 wooden lectern. C17 polygonal wooden pulpit with deeply-recessed moulded panels, door with H-hinges, panelled back board, and tester with carved scrolled brackets, fluted frieze, moulded cornice and pendants at corners. Probably C12 tapered circular stone font with chevron and horseshoe-shaped ornament; plain wooden cover. C19 stained glass in east windows. Monument: stone tablet to Thomas Ireland (d.1729) with cable-fluted pilaster strips, moulded cornice and carved coat of arms above, and moulded base with shaped bracket. Other plain late C18 and early C19 memorial tablets. Encaustic floor tiles. This church was formerly a chapelry of Saint Mary's Church, Shrewsbury and there has been a chapel on this site from at least the C12. B.o.E., p. 56; D.H.S. Cranage, An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shrop- shire, Part 9, pp.742-3; Colvin, p, 188.
Listing NGR: SJ4973818017
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 188
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 742-743
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 56
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing