Stable block and coach house approximately 12 metres to south west of Whitton Hall

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1055169
Date first listed:
18-Mar-1986
Statutory Address:
Stable block and coach house approximately 12 metres to south west of Whitton Hall, Whitton Lane

Map

Ordnance survey map of Stable block and coach house approximately 12 metres to south west of Whitton Hall
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055169 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 12:09:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
Stable block and coach house approximately 12 metres to south west of Whitton Hall, Whitton Lane

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Westbury
National Grid Reference:
SJ 34563 09063

Details

SJ 3404 17/132

WESTBURY CP WHITTON LANE (north west side) Stable block and coach house approximately 12 metres to south west of Whitton Hall

GV II Stable block and coach house, now partly garaging. Circa 1756 remodelling of a C17 building; some C20 alterations. Red brick incorporating timber framed core; plain tile roof. Five bays. One storey and attic.

High plinth to north west, toothed brick eaves cornice, and parapeted gable ends; central octagonal wooden cupola which has round-arched openings with impost blocks and keystones, large square base, and ogee lead cap with wrought iron weathervane [said to be inscribed "I.T., Esq., 1756" (probably the initials of John Topp II)].

North east front: six segmental-headed blind windows, left-hand one is painted imitation; some inserted C20 wooden casements; wooden forecourt gate post and gate attached to left; square posts with chamfered corners and moulded tops; left-hand corner chamfered up to attic level. Left-hand gable end: wooden two-light attic casement; pair of large boarded coach house doors with segmental head. Stone mounting block attached to right. Rear has been partly rebuilt in C20; boarded loft door to left; two pairs of large boarded doors, left-hand C20 sliding and right-hand with depressed-arched head, various small segmental-headed casements and boarded doors.

INTERIOR: remains of C17 timber-framed building including framed wall between first and second bays from north west with part of a post and an angle brace to north east, and collar and cambered tie-beam roof with queen struts and V-struts; truss between first and second bays from south east has honeycomb brickwork and was probably formerly an external gable end; roof with pairs of staggered purlins. The gable end to north west has a straight joint to left and the south west front has a joint to right suggesting that the north east and south east walls were rebuilt before the rest of the building. The framing suggests that it was formerly a barn and the early C18 barn (q.v.) to the west incorporates some reused timbers which might have come from it.

The stable block encloses the south-west side of the forecourt to Whitton Hall (q.v.) and stands opposite the former service block (q.v.).

Listing NGR: SJ3456309063

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
259039
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Forrest, H E , Some Old Shropshire Houses and their Owners, (1924), 6

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].