CHURCH OF ST JOHN
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST JOHN
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055175.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2019 at 04:50:10.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST JOHN
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
- Alberbury with Cardeston
- National Grid Reference:
- SJ 32928 12298
SJ 31 SW WOLLASTON C.P. WOLLASTON
4/151 Church of St. John -
Shown on O.S. map as St. John's Chapel. Parish church. 1787-8 on the site of a medieval chapel first recorded in 1289 and probably reusing some materials; remodelled and porch and vestry added in 1885; restored and bellcote replaced in 1911. The hon. architect was H. N. Treasure (see plaque in porch). Coursed Alberbury breccia and red sandstone rubble with red sandstone dressings; porch and vestry of snecked dressed red sandstone with ashlar dressings; C20 machine tile roof. Three-bay nave and chancel under one roof with lean-to west porch and north vestry. Stepped plinth to west, chamfered quoins and cyma-recta moulded cornice; C19 cross at apex of east gable, and gabled west bellcote of 1911 with single pointed arch, chamfered off- sets, moulded kneelers and weathervane. C18 round-arched windows with inserted C19 'Venetian' tracery consisting of 2 chamfered round-arched lights with circle above; C19 east window consisting of triple stepped round-arched lancets with roll moulding and hoodmould with scroll stops. Porch: chamfered plinth; west and north windows of 2 roll-moulded round arches and hoodmould with scroll stops; vestry: lean-to roof and integral stack to right; triangular-headed window in right-hand return front; segmental-headed boarded door with keystone in left-hand return front. Interior: 5-bay C18 roof with king post trusses, pairs of purlins and ashlar pieces; 2 bays over chancel, division marked by C19 pilasters on wall supporting open brackets to C18 truss which has inserted C19 open trefoiled panels; east window has nook shafts with moulded bases and stiff-leaf capitals, and roll-moulded rear-arches; C19 chamfered archway to porch has hoodmould with carved stops; porch has 3-bay lean-to roof with carved corbels; west window with chamfered rear-arch; 3 steps up to chancel; encaustic floor tiles. Fittings: mainly c.1885 including pews, choir stalls, lectern, altar rails; pulpit has canted front with traceried panels; octagonal stone font with moulded base, and bowl with inscription: "IHS / SUFFER THE / LITTLE CHILDREN / TO COME UNTO / ME, AND FORBID / THEM NOT: FOR / OF SUCH IS / THE KINGDOM / OF GOD", and wooden cover; painted coat of arms dated 1793 above western arch. Leaded clear glass in windows. Plaque to Thomas Parr (not seen at time of survey - July, 1985) who was reputed to have been 152 years old when he died on the 15th November, 1635. Plaque in porch recording 1911 restoration. The contractor was George Wynne and the work included the removal of the (probably C18) ceiling, a new bellcote (replacing a possibly C18 hexagonal wooden one) and roof, and other general repairs. The 1885 restoration cost £600. The church stands by the road in the centre of the hamlet of Wollaston. B.O.E., p.321; V.C.H., Vol. VIII pp.218-9; D. H. S. Cranage, An architectural account of the churches of Shropshire, part 6, p. 538-9; Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire and Shropshire(1905), p.300. -- -
Listing NGR: SJ3292812298
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 538-9
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire, (1908), 218-9
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 321
'Kellys Directory' in Herefordshire and Shropshire, (1905), 300
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing