- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- MINSTERLEY HALL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055191.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2019 at 02:58:35.
- Statutory Address:
- MINSTERLEY HALL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SJ 37344 04984
SJ 30 SE MINSTERLEY C.P. MINSTERLEY
11/83 Minsterley Hall 29.1.52
House. Circa 1581 for Robert Clough, partly rebuilt and greatly enlarged in 1653, for Sir Henry Frederick Thynne, and restored with some alterations in 1872. Timber framed with plastered infill, underbuilt to south-east in C19 red brick with grey sandstone dressings; C19 plain tile roofs. 2 framed bays with flush gabled cross-wing of 2 framed bays to south-west and lower late C16 flush gabled cross-wing of 2 framed bays to north-east. Framing: closely spaced uprights with middle rail; cross-wing to north-east has first-floor parallel diagonal struts forming lozenge panels, closely-spaced uprights beneath windows, and quatrefoils within square panels in gables. Two-storeys and attic. South-east front: right-hand cross-wing with moulded bressumer to first floor, jettied gable with moulded bressumer on carved brackets, and 2-light attic casement with curved V-struts above; left-hand cross-wing has jettied gable with moulded bressumer on carved brackets, and 3-light wooden attic casement with V-struts above; 2 large central timber framed gabled eaves dormers with diagonal struts, crown-post type truss and 3-light wooden casements; plain barge boards with finials; pair of external brick end stacks (some partly or wholly rebuilt) and central stack in valley of gables at rear, all having 2 or 3 star-shaped shafts with oversailing tops; end stacks with pitched-roofed links to attic. 7-window front; first-floor mid- to late C19 three-light wooden mullioned and transomed casements, small 2-light casement off-centre to right and 4-light window to right-hand cross-wing; 4 ground-floor paired sashes to left with chamfered reveals, small cross-window and 5-light staircase window off centre to right, and 6-light window to right-hand cross-wing; chamfered-arched doorway between second and third windows off centre to left has boarded door with strap hinges and overlight of 3 trefoil-headed lights. Right-hand return front has gabled timber framed probable former stair turret with tension braces, quatrefoil panel in gable and 2-light wooden casement. Rear: 4 gables, one late C16 cross-wing to left with jettied first floor and gable, 2-light attic casement, 4-light first-floor window, and ground floor 3-light window with boarded door to right; C17 addition to right has 3-light attic casements (with v-struts above in cross-wing to right); 8 windows; mainly C19 three-light mullioned and transomed wooden casements; roughly central boarded door with 3-part rectangular overlight. Interior: parlour and kitchen in C16 cross-wing have chamfered beams with ogee stops and blocked large fireplace; drawing room: C17 type C19 panelling; dining room: moulded ceiling beams; fireplace with chamfered lintel; C17 screen (possibly including parts taken from Caus Castle) with moulded panels, pilasters, central archway with moulded arch braces, and billet-decorated top rail; staircase: C17, restored in C19; dog-leg with landing; closed string, rectangular-section balusters, moulded handrail, and square newel posts, that to landing with moulded and pierced finial; main bedroom: probably C19 marble fireplace; panelled pilasters, frieze with foliage decoration and putty and egg and dart enriched cornice; central first-floor billard room: cross-walls exposed, one has square panels and the other closely spaced uprights with a middle rail; moulded ceiling beams, fireplace with chamfered lintel; first-floor room to C16 cross-wing: exposed framing has square/rectangular panels with long straight tension braces; chamfered ceiling beams; fireplace with early C19 cast-iron grate; back staircase: C17, restored in C19; roof: 4-bays over central C17 range, collar and tie beam trusses with queen struts, pair of purlins with wind braces, and partition walls with lath and plaster infill; 4-bay roof over C17 cross-wing rebuilt in C19; 4-bay roof over C16 cross-wing. Minsterley Hall was bought by Sir Thomas Thynne in 1634. It became the principal Shropshire residence of the Thynne family after the destruction of Cans Castle soon after 1645. It is said that some materials or fittings from the Castle were reused at Minsterley Hall. It is also said that the dining room screen was taken from Minsterley Church (qv). This seems unlikely as there appears to have been no church in the village until the present one was built in 1689 and the screen appears earlier than this and certainly in no way matches the surviving late C17 fittings in the church. B,O.E., p.202; V.C.H., Vol.VIII, pp.302, 309-12; Kellys Directory of Herefordshire and Shropshire (1905) pp.153-4; D. T. Merry, The History of Minsterley, pp.29-32.
Listing NGR: SJ3734404984
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Merry, D T, The History of Minsterley29-32
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire, (1908), 302,309-12
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 202
'Kellys Directory' in Herefordshire and Shropshire, (1985), 153-4
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing