LOWER WALLOP FARMHOUSE AND LOWER WALLOP FARM COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1055199

Date first listed: 18-Mar-1986

Statutory Address: LOWER WALLOP FARMHOUSE AND LOWER WALLOP FARM COTTAGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of LOWER WALLOP FARMHOUSE AND LOWER WALLOP FARM COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055199 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 10:48:41.

Location

Statutory Address: LOWER WALLOP FARMHOUSE AND LOWER WALLOP FARM COTTAGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Westbury

National Grid Reference: SJ 32440 07612

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 30 NW WESTBURY C.P. LOWER WALLOP

8/106 Lower Wallop Farmhouse - and Lower Wallop Farm Cottage

- II

Farmhouse, now divided. Circa 1670, extended c. 1812, and partly rebuilt in mid-to late C19. Rendered timber frame with red brick nogging, partly rebuilt in red brick; early C19 addition in coursed grey sandstone rubble with red brick facing to south-east(with evidence of former painted surface), slate roof, hipped over early C19 block. Probably 2 or 3 framed bays with addition to south-east. 2 storeys. South-east front: deep eaves; pair of symmetrically placed brick ridge stacks and brick ridge stack at junction with wing at rear consisting of 2 star-shaped shafts (tops rebuilt in C20). 1:1:1 bays, centre bay projecting slightly, with triangular pedimented gable above; 12- and 16-pane glazing bar sashes with slightly segmental heads; central half- glazed door (2 panels and 6 small lights) with doorcase consisting of architrave, reeded pilaster strips, and reeded console brackets with guttae (only surviving on right-hand one) supporting lead-covered flat hood. Central 2-storey gabled staircase tower at rear. Rear wing has C19 wooden casements,and gabled back porch to north-east and timber framed partly exposed to south-west. Probably C19 kitchen block in angle at rear. Interior: early C19 fittings including 6-panelled doors, moulded cornices; 3-flight staircase with landings, open string with scrolled cut brackets, stick balusters, and handrail with turned bottom newel post. V.C.H., Vol. VIII, p. 303; C. Ryan, The evolution of the peasant house in Shropshire. Medieval - c. 1850. The Parish of Westbury, Unpublished thesis (October 1979), Manchester University, p. 140.

Listing NGR: SJ3244007612

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 259013

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire, (1908), 303
Ryan, C, The Evolution of the Peasant House in Shropshire Medieval c1850 The Parish of Westbury140

End of official listing