CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055228 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 05:33:54.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
MINSTERLEY C.P. MINSTERLEY Church of The Holy Trinity
Parish church. 1689, by William Taylor of London at the expense of Thomas, Viscount Weymouth. Red brick with yellow/grey sandstone dressings; plain tile roof. 6-bay nave and chancel in one, plus one bay to west with bellcote, and south porch. Chamfered dressed red sandstone plinth, cill string, battered brick buttresses with rounded stone kneelers, parapet with stone coping (top 5 courses rebuilt), and parapeted gable ends, that to east with flag-pole; square wooden bellcote with shingled lower stage, louvred upper stage with balusters at corners, cap with frieze and pedimented gable to each face, and weathervane. Large round-arched diamond-leaded windows: moulded architraves with impost blocks, and keystones, with carved angel's head ; south doorway in third bay from west has a pair of C18 doors each with 3 moulded panels, and moulded architrave; porch with stone-coped parapeted gable, and entrance with lugged architrave over chamfered-rusticated ground, frieze and segmental pediment. East end: large diamond leaded round-arched window: Y-tracery, moulded cill, moulded architrave with impost blocks and projecting dropped keystone with carved angel's head and moulded top. West front: pair of giant pilasters (without entasis) with chamfered rustication, moulded bases and egg and dart enriched capitals supporting large open segmental pediment; centrepiece consisting of segmental-headed entrance with recessed pair of doors each with 3 moulded panels, moulded architrave with carved winged angels in lugs flanking projecting dropped keystone with carved angel, carved frieze with scrolled ends, and skulls and cross bones with hour glasses and swags, and moulded cornice; central first-floor diamond-leaded 2-light round-arched window has moulded cill, flanking panelled pilasters with carved foliage drops and egg and dart enriched cornice, chamfered rusticated voussoirs and spandrels, dropped keystone with carved angel's head, and moulded cornice; clock in tympanum of pediment above has carved spandrels and moulded architrave with carved paterae in lugs; flanking diamond-leaded windows on each floor with moulded cills and moulded architraves, with carved angels heads to first-floor keystones and carved grotesques to ground-foor keystones. Lead downpipes with rainwater heads on second, fourth and sixth buttresses from east. Interior: many late C17 fixtures and fittings remaining; C17 six and a half-bay roof with quasi arch-braced collar trusses (actually assembled from separately-pegged parts) and pairs of purlins; west gallery: 3 bays; closed ground floor with pair of 3-panelled doors; frieze and moulded cornice to balustrade with moulded handrail, centre bay slightly projecting with pendant finials and square standards with panelled sides, and pair of wooden Tuscan columns supporting moulded beam. Fittings include: dado panelling, with carved foliage decoration in sanctuary; reredos consisting of a pair of large bolection- moulded panels flanking east window, each having frieze with carved scroll decoration and segmental pediment; C17 communion table; communion rails with turned balusters, moulded base and handrail, and pair of central gates; low chancel screen (possibly cut down) ramped up to gate posts with carved dragons in spandrels and pair of central gates, each with 2 raised and fielded panels and each ramped up to posts with carved foliage in spandrels; fine hexagonal wooden pulpit: two square panels on each face with carved foliage band between and frieze above, bolection- moulded panelled back. board, and large tester with acanthus-decorated panelled soffit, entablature with carved foliage and breaking forward at corners, and ogee cap with globe finial; octagonal painted stone font with square base, octagonal stem with acanthus decoration, and gadrooned bowl with uncarved top; organ of 1884; pews of c.1870. There are seven maidens' garlands at the west end of the church, placed in the church in the C18 (dated 1736 to 1794); they were made for the funerals of young girls and placed on their coffins. The interior was altered in 1865 when the chancel floor was probably raised to its present height (2 steps up) and the family pew dismantled [parts of which possibly survive as a screen in Minsterly Hall (qv)] and the present choir stalls made from old materials. The church was further altered in 1870 when it was reseated and the pulpit probably moved to its present location and put on a new base. In 1688 contracts were taken out with Thomas Hudson of Shrewsbury for masonry and brickwork and with Joseph Meatcham of Shrewsbury for woodwork and the gallery and pews. The church was consecrated in 1689. Taylor was working at Longleat in Wiltshire at the time of his commission. The Thynnes owned Minsterley Hall at this time and might have been responsible for the choice of architect. Holy Trinity is a complete example of a church built when local craftsmen were just beginning to assimilate the new Baroque motifs. B.O.E., pp.201-2; V.C.H., Vol. VIII, pp.302, 328-30; D. T. Merry, The History of Minsterley, pp.32-5; D. H. S. Cranage, An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, part 6, pp.531-2; Colvin, p.819 ; Longleat account book 176; Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire and Shropshire (1985), pp.153-4.
Listing NGR: SJ3739705059
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 819
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 531-2
Merry, D T, The History of Minsterley32-5
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire, (1908), 302,328-30
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 201-2
'Kellys Directory' in Herefordshire and Shropshire, (1985), 153-4
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing