Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1055246
Date first listed: 18-Mar-1986
Statutory Address: LOTON PARK
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055246 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 26-Apr-2019 at 01:02:28.
Statutory Address: LOTON PARK
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish: Alberbury with Cardeston
National Grid Reference: SJ 35678 14739
SJ 3514 ALBERBURY WITH ALBERBURY
12/23 Loton Park
Country house. Circa 1670, enlarged 1711, extended and remodelled c.1830 and c.1838 by Thomas Jones (c.1794-1859) of Chester, and further enlarged in 1873. Red brick with grey and red (c.1870) sandstone ashlar dressings; 2-span plain tile roof. C17 U- or H- plan house, C18 addition to north and c.1873 wing at angle to south-east. Basement, 2 storeys and attic with one storey and attic wing. South front: chamfered stone plinth, quoins, chamfered stone-coped parapeted gables with shaped keeelers, and finials at feet and apexes; C19 brick stacks consisting of star-shaped shafts with moulded bases and oversailing tops [central stack truncated at time of survey (June 1985) after a fire]. 1:3:1 bays with projecting gabled (gables added c.1838) wings and central gabled semi-dormer; mid-C19 wooden cross-windows with chamfered reveals and returned hoodmoulds; central first-floor window with flanking stone Corinthian columns supporting broken triangular pediment with heraldic cartouche in tympanum ; pair of French casements flanking central pair of half-glazed doors with moulded architrave and doorcase with Ionic pilasters supporting frieze and cornice; central c.1838 three-bay ashlar loggia/porch with 4 steps to base, round arches with imposts, Tuscan columns supporting entablature, and balustrade. Circa 1870 theatre-wing to right consisting of 3-bay centre with buttresses dividing tall 2-light mullion and transomed windows and 3 gables above, full-height canted bay to left with 3-light mullioned and transomed window and arcaded parapet, and gabled wing to right with buttresses flanking large 5-light mullioned and transomed window and 3-light attic window. Rear: high stone plinth with cyma-recta moulded top, plat band, pilaster strips with chamfered rustication, moulded cornice, raised and fielded panelled pilaster strips to attic with moulded cornice, and coped parapet ramped up to centre with square-section balustrading above windows; C18 square-section lead downpipes between second and third and seventh and eighth bays with moulded rainwater heads. 2:1:3:1:2 bays, set-back to centre; early and late C18 glazing bar sashes (some replaced by C19 two-light wooden casements) with gauged brick heads, projecting keystones, moulded stone cills and moulded brick aprons; central first-floor window with moulded architrave, small flanking volutes, frieze, and continuous cornice breaking forward in centre; central attic window with lugged architrave triple keystone, frieze, and continuous cornice breaking forward at ends; former central doorway (now sash) with moulded architrave, and doorcase consisting of oddly proportioned fluted Doric pilasters with short sections of entablature above, frieze with paterae, and segmental pediment with broken back centre (external staircase missing). 2-bay return frontswith panelled parapets. Interior: mainly early C18 and early C19; entrance hall with C18 marble floor, C18 bolection moulded panelling, early C19 Tudor Gothic stone fireplace with flanking arches through to rest of house; dining room with C18 bolection-moulded panelling and fluted pilasters, and C18 chimney-piece by Thomas Farnolls Pritchard with lugged architrave, carved foliage decoration, frieze with swags, and dentil cornice; drawing room with C18 raised and fielded panelling and pilasters; large drawing room with late C18 fireplace consisting of columns with acanthus capitals, bucrania, husk garlands and cornice, and C19 panelled ceiling with carved bosses and openwork frieze; dog-leg staircase with closed string, turned balusters, moulded handrail, panelled square newel posts, and wainscot panelling; theatre in 1873 wing with chamfered stone arches, chamfered-arched stone fireplace, west gallery, and panelling; chimney-piece by Thomas Farnolls Pritchard in first-floor front room [removed at time of survey (June 1985) for restoration work after a fire]. Loton Park is the Leighton family home. Robert Mylne (1733-1811) made alterations for Sir Charlton Leighton, Bart. in 1773-4, but no evidence for them survives; E. Haycock (1790-1870) of Shrewsbury made alterations for Sir Balwin Leighton Bart. in 1819 (drawings at the house). Thomas Jones carried out alterations for Sir Baldwin Leighton in 1830 and 1838,which probably included the addition of the south gables to the C17 block and the porch (drawings at the house). V.C.H., Vol. VIII, pp.199-200; B.O.E., p.175; Burke's and Savills Guide to Country Houses, Vol. II, Hereford, Shropshire, Warwicks and Worcester, Ed. Peter Reid, Burkes Peerage (1980); Colvin, pp.624, 405-7, 476 and 576.
Listing NGR: SJ3567814739
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 258928
Legacy System: LBS
Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 624,405-7
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 476 & 576
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire, (1908), 199-200
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 175
Reid, P, 'Burkes and Savills Guide to Country Houses' in Herefordshire Shropshire Warwickshire Worcestershire, (1980)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing