CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1055258
Date first listed:
13-Jun-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055258 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 13:15:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Kenley
National Grid Reference:
SJ 56279 00795

Details

KENLEY C.P. KENLEY SJ 50 SE 4/66 Church of St. John 13.6.58 the Baptist GV II*

Parish church. C12 and C14, restored c. 1854. Roughly coursed gritstone rubble, machine tile roofs. Nave and chancel in one, west tower and south porch. Tower: probably C12; squat in 2 stages with later pyramidal roof; rectangular chamfered openings to second stage on north, south and west and plain rectangular openings to bottom stage on south and west. Long nave and chancel in one; 3 mid-C19 windows with Y-tracery on south and 2 on north, all in slight recesses; north wall also has square-headed blocked doorway to chancel and an infilled round-arched doorway (probably C12), cut by western of two C19 windows; small blocked rectangular window to chancel on south; C14 east window of 2 cusped lights with quatrefoil and mouchettes above; gabled south porch with round-arched doorway probably C17. Interior: round-arched single-chamfered south doorway has nail- studded plank and muntin door (probably C17); narrow doorway to tower is pointed on east with 2 chamfered orders ending in small broaches and square-headed on west (door with long strap hinges); main feature is late C14 arch-braced collar beam roof, the 3 eastern trusses (to chancel) with cusped struts from collars forming quatrefoils, double purlins and cusped windbraces; the 2 eastern trusses to nave are boxed in (without struts to collars) and the western truss consists of a tie beam with raking struts supporting principal rafter; fine carved C17 pulpit has tester with pendant knobs, reading desk below made up of contemporary panels; hexagonal font 1875. No monumentsof note. The church is said to have been a dependent chapelry of Cound (q.v. under Church of St. Peter, Cound C.P.) in the medieval period and is stituated in an originally oval-shaped churchyard (q.v. under churchyard wall), suggestive of an early origin. B.O.E. p.159; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 6 (1903) pp. 493-4; The Post Office Directory of Shropshire (1879) (ed. E. R. Kelly) p.336.

Listing NGR: SJ5627900795

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
258849
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 493-4
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958)
'Post Office Directory' in Post Office Directory of Shropshire, (1879), 336

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/08943/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr M. I. Joachim. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].