CHURCH OF SAINT PETER
Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1055290
Date first listed: 10-Feb-1959
Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT PETER, ADDERLEY
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055290 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 26-Apr-2019 at 01:04:51.
Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT PETER, ADDERLEY
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference: SJ6611039542
SJ 63 NE
ADDERLEY C.P. ADDERLEY Church of Saint Peter
Parish church. North (Kilmorey) chapel of 1635-7 (restored 1822) and west tower of 1712-13. The rest rebuilt in 1801, by Richard Baker. Yellow/grey sandstone ashlar, with some red sandstone in tower. Slate roofs. Cruciform plan with 3-bay nave, one-bay transepts and chancel and west tower. Tower: 2 stages. Chamfered and moulded plinth, corner giant Doric pilasters supporting sections of entablature, moulded cornice and parapet with corner dies and moulded coping (finials missing at time of survey - July 1986). Louvred chamfered Gothic belfry openings with Y-tracery. First-stage round-arched west window with 2 hollow chamfered round-arched lights, circular panel in tympanum, and hollow- chamfered hoodmould with scrolls to cable-fluted keystone. Raised datestone above window, inscribed with the date and the initials of the churchwardens (mostly illegible at time of survey but including the inscription: "15 / 17 WT CW 12 / M....."). Nave, chancel and south transept: plinth, cill band with slightly chamfered top, moulded cornice and blocking cone. Triangular-pedimented gabled ends. 2 small gabled finials on blocking course to north, marking the division between nave, crossing and chancel. Cast-iron 3-light Gothic windows with panelled tracery. South wall of transept, east and north walls of chancel and north wall of crossing with full-height recessed blank panels. Central south nave doorway with pair of doors (each with 3 beaded flush panels) and moulded surround. Square projection in angle of chancel and south transept. North (Kilmorey) chapel: chamfered plinth, coved parapet string, and battlemented parapet with moulded coping and crocketed finials at corners (N.E. missing at time of survey) and at apex of gable. North window with four-centered arch, 3 cinquefoil- headed lights with mullions continuing up into head, moulded reveals and diamond-leaded glazing. Segmental-headed east window of 2 cinquefoil- headed lights with Y-tracery, reveals with cyma-recta moulding and diamond- leaded lights. Nail-studded boarded west door with four-centered moulded archway under square head, moulded step and flight of 4 steps with rounded corners. Interior: divided at time of survey; the nave now serves as the parish church and the rest of the building has been declared redundant. Apsidal ends to chancel and south transept. Round tower arch. Round-arched recess in south wall of chancel. Beaded flush dado panelling, ramped up to apse in south transept. Moulded cornice to flat ceiling. C12 stone font with circular base and bowl in the shape of a cushion capital with carved foliage ornament, a cross pate, addorsed volutes etc, and the inscription: "HIC MALE PRIMUS HOMO FRUITUR CUM CONIUGE POMO". Late C17 wooden altar rails with moulded base, fluted balusters with carved acanthus ornament to lower parts, and moulded rail; doubled balusters at each end. Benches of c.1801 with beaded flush back and end panels. Hexagonal wooden pulpit of c.1801 with 4 panels to each side, fluted band to base, fret ornament to moulded cornice, hexagonal stem with moulded base and top, and 3 steps. Screen to vestry (beneath tower) dated 1908 with raised and fielded panelling, central 4- panelled door and~moulded cornice. Segmental-headed C18 nail-studded door to tower in vestry. 7-bay inlaid wooden altar, probably c.1900, with three-quarter columns. Oak chancel screen of c.1908; 2:1:2 bays with unfluted Corinthian columns on pedestals with entablature, breaking forward in centre, crucifix above and pair of central wrought- iron gates. Old oak iron-bound chest. Remains of C19 organ. South doors with large L-hinges on inside. Commandment boards flanking tower arch. Benefactors board in vestry "WILLIAM DUCKERS JOHN KEMP, CHURCH WARDENS 1826". Tablet with Creed and Lords Prayer above south door. Kilmorey chapel: c.1637, Screen of 3:2:3 bays consisting of lower panels with strapwork, Tuscan colonnettes supporting pierced round arches with central pendants, openwork frieze above, and obelisk pinnacles against the wall above flanking central carved coat of arms. 4-bay roof consisting of moulded cambered tie-beams resting on wooden corbels and with carved shields in centre, and sub-divided by moulded joists with carved bosses at intersections. Panelling with strapwork ornament, carved frieze and moulded cornice. Doorway to north-west; inner door incorporated in panelling with carved inscription: " GOD SPAKE THESE WORDS AND SAYD I AM THE LORD THY GOD" and triangular pediment above with phoenix. Fireplace in west wall with C17 carved bolection surround and early C19 cast-iron grate with reeded architrave Heraldic stained glass in north window. Monuments: tablet to Sir Corbet Corbet (d.1823) by John Carline and Son with mourning figure against background of drapery; two Kilmorey tablets (1818 and 1824) by Bacon Jun. and S. Manning). Further late C18 and early C19 tablets to members of the Kilmorey family and others. Brasses (not noted at time of survey): bishop of c.1390; Sir Robert Needham (d.1556) and Agnes (d.1560) his wife; John Podmore, rector (d.1673). D.H.S. Cranage, An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire (part 8), pp. 662-6; B.o.E., p.53; Colvin, pp. 83-4 Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire and Shropshire (1900), pp.18-19; Kerry Downes, English Baroque Architecture, London, p.109.
Listing NGR: SJ6611039542
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 260305
Legacy System: LBS
Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 83-84
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 662-6
Downes, K, English Baroque Architecture, (1966), 109
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 53
'Kellys Directory' in Herefordshire and Shropshire, (1900), 18-19
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing