CHAPEL OF THE EPIPHANY
Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1055346
Date first listed: 20-Aug-1971
Statutory Address: CHAPEL OF THE EPIPHANY
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055346 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Apr-2019 at 00:20:16.
Statutory Address: CHAPEL OF THE EPIPHANY
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference: SJ 63688 24753
HODNET C.P. PEPLOW
SJ 62 SW
9/80 Chapel of the Epiphany
Chapel. 1877-9, by Richard Norman Shaw for Francis Stanier (1838-1900) of Peplow Hall. Red brick (English bond) with red sandstone ashlar dressings; timber framed upper parts with red brick nogging, some laid in herringbone fashion. Tile-hung gable end to west. Plain tile roof. Nave and chancel in one with gabled north-west porch, lean-to north vestry and lean-to south chapel. Free late Perpendicular style. Bellcote marking division between nave and chapel, consisting of lead or copper-sheathed battered base, timber framed superstructure and plain tile roof with sprocketed eaves, finial and weathervane. 2 bells. Nave: buttresses with chamfered offsets; clasping buttresses to west end. Chamfered offset to timber framed upper parts. Pairs of 2- and 3-light leaded wooden windows to north and south. Pair of boarded doors to north with strap hinges, and chamfered and stopped wooden surround. Porch consisting of low brick walls with chamfered stone copings, timber framed superstructure with 3-light leaded side windows and chamfered arched braced entrance with collar and brackets supporting ends of wall plates. West end: continuous range of 5 two-light leaded wooden windows and smaller range of 3 two-light leaded wooden windows beneath tile-hanging in gable above. Chancel: chamfered plinth. Small square- headed south window of 2 trefoiled ogee-headed lights with chamfered reveals. East window of 5 trefoil-headed lights with trefoils above each, continuous mullions, chamfered reveals and hoodmould. South chapel: chamfered plinth. Pair of square-headed windows of 2 trefoiled ogee- headed lights with chamfered reveals. Central chamfered-arched boarded door with strap hinges. North vestry: extended to right in C20. Reset C19 boarded door in right-hand return with strap hinges and window above. Left-hand return with 2-light double-chamfered mullioned stone window. Datestone in foot of south-west buttress of nave, inscribed: "This corner stone of the / chapel of the Epiphany / was laid by Caroline Stanier / in the presence of the right / reverend G.A. Selwyn D Bishop / of Lichfield October 17th 1877". Interior: complete late C19 fixtures and fittings, mostly by Shaw. Ceiled wagon roof, with stencilled ornament to chancel. Double-chamfered arch to south chapel, the outer chamfer continuous and the inner resting on carved corbels. Organ arch to south with double chamfer dying into responds and hoodmould. Chamfered-arched boarded vestry doorway. String course to chancel, beneath cill to east and carried over vestry doorway as hoodmould. Chamfered rear arch to east window and chamfered reveals to south window. Fittings: panelled sanctuary dated 1903 with carved frieze and billet-ornamented top. Central carved wooden reredos of 5 bays with central canopied niche. Gothic altar table. Wrought-iron altar rails. Plain choir stalls. Elaborate wooden screen by Shaw, with chamfered stone base, 3 wide cusped ogee-headed openings, shafts with moulded bases and capitals, panelled spandrels, coving to loftand tall panels in tympanum with traceried heads. Hexagonal wooden pulpit by Shaw with chamfered stone base, pair of linenfold panels to each side with billet ornament, cinque- foiled ogee-headed open panels above with carved spandrels, and frieze with stylized carved foliage. Wrought-iron lectern with twisted shaft and tripod base. Plain pews. Octagonal stone font by Shaw with 2 steps, chamfered base, stem with filleted circular and octagonal shafts, and bowl with alternating carved fleur-de-lys and cruciform panels. Chancel redecorated in 1903, with wall paintings on the north and south walls by D. Strachon depicting the Epiphany of our Lord. Encaustic tiles in chancel. Stained glass in chancel dated 1913 and in south chapel dated 1901. East window by Heaston, Butler and Bayne. Tablet on south wall to Caroline Judith Stanier, wife of Francis Stanier, d. Jan. 29, 1905. The old list descriptions gives the date of the chancel wall paintings as 1913. Andrew Saint, Richard Norman Shaw, pp. 284-6 and p. 418.
Listing NGR: SJ6368824753
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 260234
Legacy System: LBS
Books and journals
Saint, A, Richard Norman Shaw, (1976), 284-6, 418
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing