SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL MILEPOST APPROXIMATELY 116 METRES TO SOUTH EAST OF BRIDGE NUMBER 55

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1055363
Date first listed:
25-Feb-1987
Statutory Address:
SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL MILEPOST APPROXIMATELY 116 METRES TO SOUTH EAST OF BRIDGE NUMBER 55

Map

Ordnance survey map of SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL MILEPOST APPROXIMATELY 116 METRES TO SOUTH EAST OF BRIDGE NUMBER 55
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055363.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 21:40:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL MILEPOST APPROXIMATELY 116 METRES TO SOUTH EAST OF BRIDGE NUMBER 55

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Cheswardine
National Grid Reference:
SJ 70626 29345

Details

CHESWARDINE C.P. SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL SJ 7029-7129 (south-west side) SJ 70626 29345 12/20 Milepost approx. 116 - metres to south-east of Bridge No 55

- II

Milepost. Circa 1830. Cast-iron. Short cylindrical round-topped post with curved rectangular plates to front. 2 to top and one to bottom. Super- scribed serif lettering reads: "AUTHERLEY/JUNCTION" 23 MILES" (left-hand side), "NANTWICH/16/MILES" (right-hand side) and "NORBURY/JUNCTION/7 1/2 MILES" (bottom). This stretch of the canal was built as part of the Birmingham and Liverpool Junction Canal (act passed 1826, opened 1835) which was absorbed by the Ellesmere and Chester Canal in 1845 and eventually became part of the Shropshire Union in 1846. Charles Hadfield, The Canals of the West Midlands, pp. 183-9. Thomas Pellow and Paul Bowen, The Shroppie. A portrait of the Shropshire Union Canal.

Listing NGR: SJ7062629345

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
260170
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hadfield, C, The Canals of the West Midlands, (1985), 183-9
Pellow, T, Bowen, P, The Shroppie A Portrait of the Shropshire Union Canal

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Jan 2003
Reference: IOE01/10013/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Les White. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].