Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1055411

Date first listed: 29-Oct-1986

Statutory Address: 16

Statutory Address: INGLENOOK, 15


Ordnance survey map of INGLENOOK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055411 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Apr-2019 at 05:21:26.


Statutory Address: 16

Statutory Address: INGLENOOK, 15

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Myddle and Broughton

National Grid Reference: SJ 46671 23552



15/95 Nos. 15 (Inglenook) - and 16


House, now divided. Circa 1600 with probably early C20 alterations. Timber framed with painted brick nogging, eaves raised in brick painted to represent framing; asbestos slate roof. Framing: large square panels (2 from sole plate to wall plate) with short straight corner braces; a small part of the front wall has been rebuilt in early C18 framing with small scantling timber and a long straight tension brace. Baffle-entry plan of 4 framed bays. 2 storeys. Roughly central brick stack just behind ridge and early C20 integral brick corner stack at front to left. 4 probably early C20 first-floor 2-light wooden casements and 3 ground-floor C19 two-light wooden casements. Roughly central C20 glazed door (just to left of stack) with C20 gabled porch and half-glazed door to right with C20 gabled porch. One storey C20 additions at rear. Interior: chamfered spine beam and large open fireplace in ground-floor room to left of central stack. At least one surviving C17 roof truss (possibly others obscured). This building has been identified (Hey) as the half-tenement rented to the Tyler family in the C16 or early C17 and to the Pierce family for the rest of the C17. Richard Gough, Ed. D. Hey, The History of Myddle (1701), Penguin (1981). David G. Hey, An English Rural Community; Myddle Under the Tudors and Stuarts, Leicester University Press (1974), pp.122-3.

Listing NGR: SJ4667123552


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 260090

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Gough, , Hey, , The History of Myddle, (1981)
Gough, R, Antiquityes and Memoryes of the Parish of Myddle, (1701)
Hey, D, An English Rural Community Myddle Under the Tudors and Stuarts, (1974), 122-3

End of official listing