STABLE BLOCK AND STABLE COTTAGE APPROXIMATELY 40 TO NORTH WEST OF SANSAW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1055418

Date first listed: 29-Oct-1986

Statutory Address: STABLE BLOCK AND STABLE COTTAGE APPROXIMATELY 40 TO NORTH WEST OF SANSAW

Map

Ordnance survey map of STABLE BLOCK AND STABLE COTTAGE APPROXIMATELY 40 TO NORTH WEST OF SANSAW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055418 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2018 at 09:23:31.

Location

Statutory Address: STABLE BLOCK AND STABLE COTTAGE APPROXIMATELY 40 TO NORTH WEST OF SANSAW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Clive

National Grid Reference: SJ 50909 23210

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 5023-5123 CLIVE C.P. -

16/10 Stable block and - stable cottage approx. 40 metres to north-west of Sansaw

GV II

Stable block. Circa 1888. Red brick with brown brick bands and grey Grinshill sandstone dressings; hipped slate roof. U-plan with walls enclosing courtyard to north; Hybrid Tudor Gothic/Queen Anne Revival style. One storey and loft with attached 2-storey cottage. South front: chamfered brick plinth, moulded string course, frieze and moulded cornice, and brick ridge stack off-centre to left with toothed cap. Central octagonal wooden cupola on lead-sheathed base, with keyed round arches, moulded cornice and ogee lead dome with weathervane. 1:1:1 bays. Central break consisting of roll-moulded Tudor archway with 2 wrought-iron gates, flanking wide pilaster strips with channelled rustication and moulded plinths, and large triangular pediment above with cornice broken back below and clock with keyed moulded architrave in tympanum. Moulded-brick Tudor-arched small-paned wooden cross windows to left and right of centre with hoodmoulds. Rear with 4 circular pitching eyes, 2 pairs of windows and toothed brick eaves cornice. Eastern (coach house) range: 2 brick ridge stacks. 5 first-floor 3-light segmental-headed windows and 3 pairs of large boarded doors with strap hinges, Tudor arches and hoodmoulds. Western range: 2 brick ridge stacks and 2 gabled semi-dormers. Interior of ground-floor stables contain complete wooden stalls with quarter- round moulded posts and beams. House adjoining to right with triangular pedimented gable to front. Doorway with moulded arch and keystone and pedimented gabled projection with canted bay at rear. Brick walls closing off north side of courtyard including pair of square gate piers, each with vermiculated rustication, chamfered plinth, and cap with globe finial. This stable block was probably built as part of the alterations and improvements to Sansaw (q.v.) and the estate c.1888. Included for group value.

Listing NGR: SJ5090923210

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 260003

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing