FRODESLEY LODGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1055529

Date first listed: 29-Jan-1952

Statutory Address: FRODESLEY LODGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of FRODESLEY LODGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055529 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 21:26:10.

Location

Statutory Address: FRODESLEY LODGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Frodesley

National Grid Reference: SO5182799842

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 59 NW; 9/117

FRODESLEY C.P., Frodesley Lodge

29.01. 52

II*

Hunting lodge, now small country house. Circa 1590, possibly for Edward Scriven,with an addition of c.1750. Squared and coursed grey sandstone with grey sandstone ashlar dressings and facing to north and west of C18 block; plain tile roofs. T-plan with C18 addition to west. 2 and 3 storeys and attic; site falls to north. Chamfered plinth and coped parapeted gables; gabled full eaves dormer to west of C17 block with blocked double-chamfered window and datestone (illegible at time of survey - April 1985); external brick lateral stack to north-east with 2 star-shaped shafts, and external stone end stack to west of C17 block with C20 brick shaft. South front: 1:1 windows with gabled cross-wing to left; 3-light double-chamfered stone mullioned windows, 2-light to attic; 2-storey lean-to porch in angle of cross-wing, probably C17 or C18 remodelled in late C19, with verge parapet, C20 first-floor window, open ground floor with chamfered depressed arches, and octagonal corner pier and half-piers with chamfered bases; C17 nail-studded boarded door with strap hinges, spiked top, and old lock. Rear: 4-storey, roughly semi-circular stair tower in angle of cross-wing with 2-light windows, coped parapet , and gabled C17 red brick stair loft. Mid-to late C19 round-arched first-floor window to cross-wing with French casements. C18 block, north front: moulded plinth, plat bands at lintel level to north and west, coped parapeted gable ends, and large external stone end stack to south with chamfered offsets and brick top stage. 2 bays, C19 two-light wooden casements in C18 openings with moulded cills and keyed lintels, right-hand windows blocked; central attic window in gable above with moulded cill and segmental pediment, and blocked with red brick; right-hand return front with 3-light round-arched first-floor window and 2 ground-floor wooden cross casements with keyed lintels, that to right probably replacing a door (see straight joints in plinth). INTERIOR: C17 roof with curved principals and timber-framed partition wall; C17 part with chamfered stone arched fireplaces (including attic); C17 panelling with moulded cornices; C18 plain and bolection-moulded panelling; panelled window seats; barred windows C17 boarded doors C18 panelled doors; C17 wall cupboard with H-hinges in bedroom; circular stone staircase; chamfered beams in kitchen (ground floor to north); room above porch with C18 panelling, moulded cornice, and shaped corner shelves; blocked 2-light stone mullioned windows in west wall of C17 block; first-floor room in C18 block with C18 eight-panelled door, and C18 fireplace with plain surround and ceramic tiles flanking C18 cast iron gate. Some of the panelling seems to have been re-ordered. It is said that some panelling was removed to Acton Burnell Hall (q.v.) after it was gutted by fire in 1914. The house was first mentioned c.1675 when it was occupied by Sir Richard Corbett during the rebuilding of Longnor Hall. The ashlar wing was added in c.1750 for Godolphin Edwards.

V.C.H., Vol. VIII, p. 81; B.O.E., p. 132; Michael Moulder, Shropshire - A Shell Guide, Faber and Faber (1972), p. 77. H.E. Forrest F.L.S., some Old Shropshire Houses and their Owners, 1924, p p. 89-9.



Listing NGR: SO5182799842

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 259774

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Forrest, H E , Some Old Shropshire Houses and their Owners, (1924), 89-90
Moulder, M, A Shell Guide to Shropshire, (1972), 77
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire, (1908), 81
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 132

End of official listing