EATON MASCOTT HALL
Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1055550
Date first listed: 29-Jan-1952
Statutory Address: EATON MASCOTT HALL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055550 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 26-Mar-2019 at 02:30:26.
Statutory Address: EATON MASCOTT HALL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference: SJ 53778 05838
BERRINGTON C.P. EATON MASCOTT
SJ 50 NW
3/59 Eaton Mascott Hall
Country house. Late C17, remodelled and extended c. 1734, extended in the late C18, c. 1840, and in the late C19. Painted red sandstone and red brick, rendered to south-east; plain tile and slate roofs. Shallow U-plan with gabled wings; later additions forming irregular L-plan. 2 storeys, and 2 storeys and attic. South-west front: remodelled c.1734. Plinth, coped parapet; large central full dormer with thermal window, flanking scrolls,and open triangular pediment; brick ridge stack off-centre to right and brick stack just behind ridge off-centre to left. C18 lead downpipes with moulded rainwater heads. 1:3:1 bays; glazing bar sashes with plain architraves and keyed lintels, tripartite in ground and first floors of wings with triple keystones, and ground-floor Venetian windows in second and fourth bays with pilastered surrounds and cornices; central pair of c.1840 half-glazed doors with margin lights, chamfered rusticated surround with voussoirs and keystone, and flanking Doric pilasters; probably late C18 porch with Tuscan columns supporting half-architrave, frieze and cornice, and with later glazed sides and glazed doors. Right-hand return front of left-hand wing with 6-pane sash on each floor. Late C19 addition set back to left with dentil brick eaves cornice, parapeted gable end, brick ridge stack off-centre to right, first-floor segmental-headed glazing bar sash, and ground-floor parapeted addition with 16-pane glazing bar sash to left and small sash to right. South-east front: 2 probably late C18 full-height canted bays to left ; central 3-bay late C18 addition with cornice and blocking course, hipped roof, integral brick end stack to left and brick stack behind ridge; 3-bay c.1840 block projecting at right with horned segmental-headed sashes, plat band,hipped slate roof and 2 brick stacks. Interior: largely late C19 with doorcases, cross-beamed ceilings with plaster decoration, and substantial fireplaces; early C18 staircase with turned balusters, moulded ramped handrail, and square newel posts. Pevsner refers to a datestone (1734) which was not noted at the time of survey (March 1983). The earliest part of the house appears to be the C17 south- east wing which was later used as part of the symmetrical early C18 south-west front. V.C.H. Vol. VIII, p.p. 13-27; B.0.E, p. 124. H.E. Forrest F.L.S., Some Old Shropshire Houses and their Owners, 1924, p.p. 89-92.
Listing NGR: SJ5377805838
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 259713
Legacy System: LBS
Books and journals
Forrest, H E , Some Old Shropshire Houses and their Owners, (1924), 82-92
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire, (1908), 13-27
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 124
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing