- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- MANOR FARMHOUSE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055585.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2020 at 14:55:27.
- Statutory Address:
- MANOR FARMHOUSE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SJ 53041 06795
BERRINGTON C.P. BERRINGTON
- Manor Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Dated 1658 with probably late C17 addition, partly refaced or rebuilt and extended in the early and the mid-C19. Timber framed with rendered infill panels on coursed red sandstone rubble and red brick plinth, rendered at rear of cross-wing; partial red brick refacing or rebuilding and additions; stone slate roof with laced valleys, and plain tile roof. Baffle-entry plan; hall range of one framed bay with gabled cross-wing to left of 2 framed bays and probably later projecting cross-wing to right which is also of 2 framed bays; later infill at rear. 2 storeys and 2 storeys and attic. Plinth, jettied first floor and gables with moulded bressumers and shaped brackets; dentil brick eaves cornice to right-hand return front; plain barge boards with finials; central jettied full dormer with coving, square panel framing, jettied gable with moulded bressumer and carved brackets, and 3-light metal casement; cruciform brick-ridge stack off-centre to left with pilaster shafting and oversailing top, right-hand cross-wing with brick ridge stack consisting of 2 star-shaped shafts with oversailing tops, external brick end stack to rear, and stack in valley at rear. Framing: square panels, 6 from sole-plate to wall-plate in 1658 range and 5 in late C17 range with curved brace; collar and tie-beam trusses with queen struts and curved V-struts. 3-window front; mid-to late C19 two-,3-and 4-light wooden casements with transoms; close studding beneath central ground- floor window and 2 blank round arches with impost mouldings and pendant finials beneath central first-floor window; entrance to right of window in left-hand cross-wing has C17 nailed door with strap hinges and moulded surround with ogee stops; recessed porch with side-benches, and entrance with moulded surround and dated above : A P AB MB RB 1658 2-window left-hand return front with rendered plinth, and one-storey wash house to left with boarded door and 2-light casement. Right-hand return front: 3 bays; first-floor 2- and 3-light mid-to late C19 wooden casements with transoms, and 2 ground-floor canted flat-roofed brick bays with tripartite glazing bar sashes; 4 steps up to central half-glazed flush-panelled door with panelled pilastered surround and lead-covered flat-roofed porch with chamfered tapered posts, arch-bracing, and frieze and moulded cornice. Right-hand part of elevation set back. Interior: chamfered beams and wall-plates, and plain joists in central ground-floor room; C17 staircase up from entrance lobby; large C17 open kitchen fireplace with chamfered lintel; large C17 open fireplace in central ground-floor room with early C19 surround, fine early C19 cast iron range with fluted and other decoration, and early C19 spit rack above; some C17 wainscot panelling; right-hand cross-wing has early C19 fittings including 4-panelled doors, internal window shutters, and staircase with closed string, stick balusters, and moulded handrail with column- ular newel post. The right-hand cross-wing appears to be late Cl7 but further investigation might reveal it to be of an earlier date. This is a particularly well-preserved and fine example of a C17 farmhouse retaining much of its character internally as well as externally, and also forms an important part of the group around the Church of All Saints (q.v.). V.C.H. Vol.VIII, p p.13-27, B.O.E. p. 73.
Listing NGR: SJ5304106796
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire, (1908), 13-27
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 73
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing