Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1055631

Date first listed: 10-Mar-1986

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST RUTHEN


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST RUTHEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055631 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Apr-2019 at 23:19:25.


Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST RUTHEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Longden

National Grid Reference: SJ 44142 06396



4/200 Church of St Ruthen -

- II

Parochial chapel, now parish church. Partly medieval or C16 fabric, re- built in C17 and C18 and drastically restored in 1877. Mainly uncoursed yellow and red sandstone rubble to nave north and south walls with chamfered plinth, stepped at east end; west wall in late C18 reddish-brown brick and red brick chancel with stone dressings; machine tile roofs. Nave and polygonal chancel; west porch and vestry and lean-to brick shed on north side. Nave in 3 bays; windows all late C19 paired lancets with circular openings above, except the west window (also c.1877) which has 2 cusped square-headed lights; blocked south door with massive 4-centred arch probably late C16; C20 wooden bell-turret at west end above late C19 red brick gabled porch and vestry with a blocked door formerly leading to now- dismantled organ gallery to right; contemporary lean-to on north. Late C19 polygonal chancel on site of a C18 chancel with flat-headed windows (c.1938) on north and south and east window in Decorated style with 3 cusped lights. Interior: good C17 roof in 4 bays with double-purlins and cambered tie beams and collars, although only the central truss is unaltered; late C17 panelled pulpit and early C19 font with marble bowl and baluster-shaped shaft, originally in the Church of St George, Pontesbury (q.v.), but trans- ferred to Longden in 1864. The chapel was probably originally founded as the private chapel of the barons of Longden. B.o.E., p.172; V.C.H. VIII (1968), Pp.290-91; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 6 (1903), p.530.

Listing NGR: SJ4414206396


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 259504

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 530
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire, (1968), 290-91
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958)

End of official listing