WOBORNE'S ALMHOUSES WITH ITS BOUNDARY WALLING 5 METRES TO EAST AND SOUTH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1055711

Date first listed: 17-Oct-1983

Statutory Address: WOBORNE'S ALMHOUSES WITH ITS BOUNDARY WALLING 5 METRES TO EAST AND SOUTH, BOND STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of WOBORNE'S ALMHOUSES WITH ITS BOUNDARY WALLING 5 METRES TO EAST AND SOUTH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055711 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 17:56:32.

Location

Statutory Address: WOBORNE'S ALMHOUSES WITH ITS BOUNDARY WALLING 5 METRES TO EAST AND SOUTH, BOND STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Yeovil

National Grid Reference: ST 55818 15871

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST5515NE YEOVIL CP BOND STREET (North side)

8/1 Woborne's Almhouses, with its boundary walling 5 metres to East and South

-

- II

Almhouses. Late C19 rebuilding. Local cut and squared stone with Ham stone dressings, with Welsh slated roof and tall stone chimney stocks. A 2-storied building with gables to each of the 7-bays, bays, 1, 4 and 7 being wider and projecting. Centre bay of one storey, representing the hall or chapel, flunked by both clasping and angled buttresses, the former terminating in an Octogon quasi - battlemented; there is a C14 style 3-light traceried window with trefoil window over: the outer bays have flair chamfer mullioned windows without labels but with relieving arches over, with plain sash window with one horizontal glazing bar to each casement, 3-lights to ground floor and 2-lights to first floor. The remaining bays here 2-light windows to both levels, the upper windows having no relieving arches: doorways to bays 3 and 5 (the later row with a window) with segmental arch door and label ith horizontal return over sidelight. Simple matching side elevations to both Peter Street and South Street. The interior not inspected. Also included the boundary walling, averaging 1.2 metres high, local stone with bold copings, gate piers with double pitched finials, and the simple iron railings with cross finials, as being integral to the setting. The almhouse was founded in 1416 by John Stone, Rector of Tintinhull, and re-founded by John Woborne, Canon of St Paul's Cathedral, London, 1476.

Listing NGR: ST5581815871

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 261337

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing