This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

LODGE,GATES AND GATEPIERS TO COTTESBROOKE HALL (WEST)

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LODGE,GATES AND GATEPIERS TO COTTESBROOKE HALL (WEST)

List entry Number: 1055735

Location

LODGE,GATES AND GATEPIERS TO COTTESBROOKE HALL (WEST)

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: Daventry

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Cottesbrooke

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 02-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Nov-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 360118

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP7073 COTTESBROOKE COTTESBROOKE

14/129 Lodge, gates and gatepiers to 02/11/54 Cottesbrooke Hall (west) (north side) (Formerly listed as Cottesbrooke Hall Lodges)

GV II

Lodge with gates and gatepier. Late C18. Architect Robert Mitchell. Limestone ashlar. Lodge originally one-unit plan. Single storey. Central sash window with glazing bars has balustrade below and pediment over; all set in shallow arched recess. Door facing drive has 6 fielded panels with moulded stone architraves set in similar shallow arch with shields of arms in tympanums. Frieze cornice, panelled and balustraded parapet with large oval urns over centre. Wrought iron gate to right hanging from rusticated pier with moulded cornice and oval patrae flanked by Roman Doric 2-column open screen with wrought iron panels and hand gates surmounted by entablature with triglyph freize with sphinx over linking to flanking lodge. The lodge, gates and gatepiers form a pair with the east lodge. They were moved to their present position in 1938 from the Leicester Road. (Buildings of England Northamptonshire, p.163).

Listing NGR: SP7087273648

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1961), 163
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 30 Northamptonshire,

National Grid Reference: SP 70872 73648

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055735 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Nov-2017 at 11:31:14.

End of official listing