Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1055758
Date first listed: 31-Dec-1969
Statutory Address: BOLTON HALL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055758 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Apr-2019 at 09:01:27.
Statutory Address: BOLTON HALL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference: NU 10495 13660
NU 11 SW
9/223 Bolton Hall
Small country house, now divided into 2 dwellings. North-east range late C17, refenestrated and stair wing added in mid-C18; south block (replacing earlier structure) and north-west range early Cl9, probably by John Dobson. C17/18 parts squared stone with cut dressings, south block squared tooled stone, north-west range squared stone with tooled-and-margined quoins and dressings. Welsh slate roofs except for blue Scottish slates on north-east range
South front 2 storeys, 5 bays, symmetrical. Plinth, sill and 1st floor bands, moulded eaves cornice. Central old half-glazed door flanked by panelled pilasters carrying open-pedimented hood; 4-pane sash windows. Hipped roof.
East elevation in 2 sections: Left bay with similar detail. Older right part 5 irregular bays; rusticated quoins at right end. At left C20 glazed double doors in open-pedimented classical doorcase moved from centre bay; at right end a half-glazed door with radial overlight. 4-pane sash windows in inserted architraves. Coped right gable on moulded kneelers; 4 tall stepped-and- corniced stacks, to ridge and right end.
West elevation has 3-storey 2-bay central stair wing, with round-arched stair window and trompe l'oeil windows beneath eaves; early C19 lower left part with boarded door and 10-pane overlight in re-set moulded surround with lintel B inscribed W M (William & Mary Brown) 1689. 12- and 16-pane sash windows.
Interior: South part has sitting room with c18 moulded stone fireplace, and enriched modillion cornice. Two high rooms with moulded cornices in south block; (the south door does not relate to any internal feature). Dogleg stair with stick balusters, ramped handrail and carved tread ends; stair window has panelled surround and pilasters. Greek key frieze at 1st floor level, dentil cornice. Upper part of stair re-set as straight stair to 1st floor south block; stairhead screen on half columns.
North part: Dining room has chamfered segmental-arched fireplace and panelled dado. Fielded-panel doors, shutters, some panelling and old grates. Segmental vaulted cellars with arched brick wine bins.
Reference to Dobson's involvement, Newcastle Journal 16 Jan. 1865.
Listing NGR: NU1049513660
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 236568
Legacy System: LBS
16 January, (1865)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing