THE ABBEY HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1055872
Date first listed:
23-Feb-1954
Statutory Address:
THE ABBEY HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE ABBEY HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055872 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2019 at 07:12:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE ABBEY HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Scarborough (District Authority)
Parish:
Whitby
National Grid Reference:
NZ 90238 11118

Details

NZ 9011 2/10

The Abbey House

23.2.54.

I Medieval in origin and thought to incorporate part of the Abbot's House. The plan is however a complicated one and the building contains work chiefly of the Cl6 but also of all subsequent periods. Main part is 3 storeys and attics. Patched ashlar with various windows - old sashes with architraves and cornices, mullioned and transomed stone windows, ordinary sashes, and 3-light stone mullioned windows, all irregularly placed. Stone cornice, parapet, pantiles and dormers. Right hand wing projects at right angles. This is 3 storeys, ashlar bands. Sashes in late Cl7 stone architraves with triple keyblocks, the end 4 windows having architraves, pulvinated friezes and pediments. 2 windows to ground floor: First floor: 4 windows with scrolled broken pediments. Ruined part to North was built by Sir Hugh Cholmley in the reign of Charles II. This part was ruined in a great wind circa 1775 and was never rebuilt. Monumental 2 storey front elevation of 11 windows with stone architraves, firezes and cornices, one with central Renaissance projecting feature in 2 stages crowned by broken segmental pediment with foliage swags. Panelled door in eaved surround flanked by Ionic columns, with similar columns to sides of feature. Frieze and cornice. Similarly arranged Corinthian column to first floor enclosing window with architrave.

Interior of house itself has 4 C16 panelled rooms, 2 Cl6 staircases with balustades and newels, 2 immense kitchen fire arches of 4 centres, a pair of old stone fireplaces in a further room with Caernarvon heads, 2 Cl7 bolection moulded fireplaces, a wall containing a Cl2 round column with simple moulded capital, probably reused, and other features. There are a few items of old portable furniture belonging to the house.

The property was bought by the Cholmley family in 1555 after being held on lease by them since the Reformation, and was built out of stone and materials from the adjoining Abbey. It is said that in 1570 the house was of wood and that it was rebuilt in 1626 in stone, but the evidence on this point is not conclusive. NMR.

Abbey House and Youth Hostel form a group.

Listing NGR: NZ9024511120

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
326511
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Mar 2001
Reference: IOE01/03569/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Turner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].