Petton Church (St Raphael and St Isidore)
Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1055887
Date first listed: 27-May-1953
Date of most recent amendment: 25-Apr-1988
Statutory Address: Petton Church (St Raphael and St Isidore), Petton
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055887 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2019 at 17:17:02.
Statutory Address: Petton Church (St Raphael and St Isidore), Petton
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference: SJ4403926265
This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 13/11/12
SJ 42 NW 12/186
PETTON CP PETTON, Petton Church (St Raphael and St Isidore)
(Formerly listed as: Petton Church (dedication unknown); previously listed as Parish Church (Dedication unknown))
GV II* Parish church. 1727 for Francis Chambre on site of medieval church. Restored in 1870 for William Sparling of Petton Hall and again in 1896 for Emma Florence Cunliffe, also of Petton Hall. Red brick on stepped plinth, moulded to west end; late C19 slate roof with lozenge-shaped patterns has coped verges on carved stone kneelers. Four iron louvres. Nave and chancel in one with slightly later north vestry; west bellcote and porch of 1870.
Three round-headed windows on north and south with easternmost on north shortened; similar east window. Segmental-headed west doorway with panelled door under open gabled timber porch on brick side walls with sandstone coping. Pointed finial and scissor bracing to gable. Square open bellcote housing bell inscribed "LONG LIVE ROGER WILBRAHAM 1666" has steep pyramidal roof and brass weathercock. Vestry has round-headed window on north and machine tile roof. Date stone above porch reads "THIS CHURCH / WAS RESTORED BY / W.m SPARLING ESQ / OF PETTON HALL / SEPT 1st 1870." Fixed to south wall of church is headstone to Edward Hayward "whose death was caused by the / wheels of a waggon going over / his head on the 3rd of Sept. [date of year illegible at time of resurvey (January 1987)].
INTERIOR: box pews on north and south sides with H-hinges and benches around sides probably c.1727 but squire's pew (at east end on south side) incorporates C17 carved panels, mostly depicting a variety of floral patterns. Reused square and rectangular panelling to walls probably also C17 but that around windows on north and south sides probably C18 or C19. Sumptuously carved Jacobean pulpit said to have come from Church of St. Giles, Wrexham but reading desk below is probably original to church. The pulpit has inscription "1635 / AM.. CW" with the "3" of "1635" turned back to front; barleysugar balusters to steps with foliage to their feet. Fluted decoration to base and decorated carved panels separated by barleysugar balusters to sides; carved rosettes to top and carved supports to ledge of desk. Back has carved emblem of sun and superscription "HIS". Elaborately carved tester with pendants has later Gothic tracery patterns applied. Part of the steps may also be C19.
Small brass tablet on west wall records that the church was "adorned and beautified by Emma Florence Cunliffe, Lady of the Manor of Petton" in 1896. She was responsible for the design of several of the fittings and furnishings and also for the importation of much woodwork from elsewhere. West gallery with linenfold panelling to front (said to have been found beneath the pews) rests on two columns on square plinths brought from the Council House, Shrewsbury. These are covered with oval, oblong and diamond-shaped carving and have lion's heads to top. Much C17 woodwork was also brought from Stanwardine Hall (q.v. under Baschurch C.P.) and was reused in the reredos and the surround of the east window. Jacobean panelling also to walls of chancel which has bench to south side; contemporary altar rails. Two C17 Dutch carved panels fixed to north wall of chancel [one showing Resurrection of Christ (Christ Opsta)] and one with superscription "DE DOPE CHRIST" reused as font cover, said to have been bought in Bridgnorth.
Wrought-iron screen with elaborately worked floral motifs fixed to east end of easternmost pews, designed by Mrs. Cunliffe (1897). Also by Mrs. Cunliffe the wrought-iron sconces fixed to the pulpit, pews and gallery and the candelabra in the chancel and gallery. Late C19 encaustic tiles in chancel and tessellated pavement in sanctuary. Iron-bound safe in south wall also contemporary. Font consists of C18 vase-shaped baluster supporting detached Corinthian capital with hollowed top and egg and dart moulding, possibly of different provenance from pedestal. Holy water stoup by west door found during clearing out of Petton Moat (NGR. SJ 442 264) in 1825. Chained Book of Common Prayer (dated 1745) in west pew on north side. Plain collar-beam roof in seven bays (1870).
Stained glass: much to design of Emma Florence Cunliffe including east window in memory of her uncles and aunt, William, Charles and Emma Sparling. North side, from east to west: (1) Given by parishioners (1909) (2) In memory of Legendre Watkin Cunliffe (died 1906) (3) In memory of Ellis Robert Cunliffe Stone (died 1914). South side, from west to east: (1) In memory of Robert Doyly Freeman Thomas (died 1911) (2) To mark coronation of George V (1911) (3) In memory of Emma Florence Cunliffe [née Sparling (died 1925)].
Monuments: C19 and C20 wall tablets and memorials throughout to members of Sparling and Cunliffe families. Most notable are large marble and mosaic monuments towards west end of nave: north side, Ellis Brooke Cunliffe (died 1915), south side, John Brooke Cunliffe (died 1917). Only earlier monument is to left of pulpit. Plain pilasters with composite capitals flanking inscription panel [illegible at time of resurvey (January 1987)] but known to commemorate Francis Chambre (died 1734) with armorial device to top and heads of two putti to bottom.
Petton was originally a dependent chapelry of Baschurch (q.v. under Church of All Saints, Baschurch C.P.).
Information about Petton Church, begun 1906 by Emma Florence Cunliffe and maintained by successive vicars (in care of churchwarden).
Listing NGR: SJ4403926265
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 260883
Legacy System: LBS
Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 774-6
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 1004
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 227
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing