Lee Old Hall


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:
Lee Old Hall, Lee


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055893.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Dec-2021 at 09:14:14.


Statutory Address:
Lee Old Hall, Lee

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Ellesmere Rural
National Grid Reference:
SJ 40325 32431


SJ 43 SW 9/122


(formerly listed as Lee Hall)


GV II* Farmhouse, now house. Probably c.1550 with dated extensions of 1594 for a Mr. Charleton, agent to the Earl of Bridgewater, and 1651 for Stephen Hatchett; C19 additions and alterations.

Timber framed with rendered and painted brick infill; slate roofs. Original part to rear apparently in two framed bays and two bay cross-wing with projecting porch added to front in 1594 forming basic L-plan. Two storey porch (1651) attached to left gable end of cross-wing. Two storeys and attics. Framing: mid-C16 range has square panels, three from cill to wall-plate with plinth painted black and white in imitation of timber frame. Jowled wall posts and renewed tie beam to left gable end. Two storey gabled porch to front is jettied to first floor and attic with moulded bressumers, upper superscribed "ANNO DOMINI 1594". C20 plank door under lean-to hood flanked by contemporary fixed-light windows in apparently earlier surrounds. Two-light leaded latticed casement to first floor, which has herringbone patterns to front and sides. Herringbone decoration with four middle rails to remainder of cross-wing including to gable ends and gable above eaves to right. Original late C16 fenestration; two mullioned and transomed windows with leaded latticed lights to right of porch on ground floor and two mullioned windows also with leaded lights (right latticed) directly below eaves. Gable above eaves has similar two-light windows and mullioned windows with leaded latticed lights on each floor to left gable end.

Former two storey porch attached to left gable end is now open to ground floor and supported to front by brick wall. Close-set vertical posts with middle rail. Four-light leaded window has C17 moulded cill. C19 red brick integral lateral stack to back wall of cross-wing on left and similar stack in bottom of roof slope at junction between mid C16 part and cross-wing (right side). C19 flat-roofed addition running full length of right side of mid-C16 range incorporates formerly gabled (now flat-roofed) timber framed projection abutting right gable end of 1594 range. C19 two storey gabled brick range, painted black and white in imitation of timber frame, at right-angles to rear of mid C16 range.

Interior; Inspection not possible at time of resurvey (March 1987) but known to have panelling and overmantel dated 1657 similar to that of Shade Oak Farmhouse (q.v.under Cockshutt C.P.). Cellar beneath right room of 1594 range.

Listing NGR: SJ4032532431


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 164
'Transactions of the Shropshire Archaeological Society' in Series 4 1918-19, , Vol. 7, (1919), 157-8


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].