Urn approximately 40 metres south east of tower

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1055903
Date first listed:
25-Apr-1988
Statutory Address:
Urn approximately 40 metres south east of tower, Oteley

Map

Ordnance survey map of Urn approximately 40 metres south east of tower
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055903 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 16:33:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
Urn approximately 40 metres south east of tower, Oteley

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Welshampton and Lyneal
National Grid Reference:
SJ 41102 34838

Details

SJ 4034-4134 18/143 ELLESMERE RURAL C.P. OTELEY Urn approximately 40 metres south east of tower

GV II Urn. Circa 1826 to 1842 for Charles Kynaston Mainwaring. Sandstone. Large urn with foliage decoration and two horned ram's heads to sides. Ornamental carving to rim and plumed feather-like decoration to underside; carved plinth. Probably original square base with chamfered projection to sides.

Charles Kynaston Mainwaring was a keen amateur gardener and he travelled extensively on the continent. It is believed that he was personally responsible for much of the design of the garden at Oteley and for the features therein. His house, Oteley Park, built for him in an Elizabethan style on the site of an earlier building between 1826 and 1840 and extended in 1842 was demolished circa 1960.

Listing NGR: SJ4110234838

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
260843
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Leach, F, The County Seats of Shropshire, (1891), 19-23
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 226
Stackhouse Acton, F, The Castles and Old Mansions of Shropshire, (1868), 58
Reid, P, 'Burkes and Savills Guide to Country Houses' in Herefordshire Shropshire Warwickshire Worcestershire, , Vol. 2, (1980), 106-7

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].