CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1055926
Date first listed: 20-Aug-1971
Date of most recent amendment: 25-Apr-1988
Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055926 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Mar-2019 at 00:14:39.
Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish: Welshampton and Lyneal
National Grid Reference: SJ 43779 32908
ELLESMERE RURAL C.P. COLEMERE
SJ 43 SW
9/100 Church of St. John the
- Evangelist (formerly
listed as Church of St.
20.8.71 John the Evangelist,
Parish church. 1870 by G.E. Street for Marian, Viscountess Alford,
in memory of her son, the second Earl Brownlow (died 1867). Snecked
and tooled yellow limestone ashlar with red sandstone ashlar bands;
machine tile roofs with stepped coped verges; ornamental ceramic cresting
to chancel, which has floriated Celtic cross to gable end. Nave and
chancel in one with bellcote at junction; north-east vestry and south-
east organ chamber. Early Decorated style. Nave. South side has
2 paired trefoil-headed lancets with quatrefoils above; moulded cill
band and chamfered plinth. Triple-chamfered pointed doorway in slight
projection has 2 orders of shafts and bell capitals. West end has
3 stepped cusped lancets with hoodmoulds and moulded cill band; incised
diamond-shaped patterns above outer windows. North side has 3 broad
paired trefoil-headed lancets with quatrefoils above. Gabled bellcote
has twin cusped openings with bell to south opening; iron cross to gable.
Chancel. South wall has cinquefoil-headed lancet; east window with
geometrical tracery in 5 lights, hoodmould and square label-stops.
Stepped angle buttresses to south-east corner. North lean-to vestry
running full length of chancel and slightly overlapping nave has prominent
gabled dormer breaking eaves with tall paired cusped lancets and quatre-
foil above; moulded cill band. Pointed doorway with hoodmould to east.
West wall has cinquefoil-headed lancet with cusped trefoil above and
east wall has broad trefoil-headed paired lancets. Stack in roof slope
at junction with chancel has 3 stages and pierced Gothic tracery to
gable. South lean-to organ chamber also overlapping nave has dormer
like that in vestry and pointed doorway to west with hoodmould and square
label-stops. East and west walls have cinquefoil-headed lancets with
cusped trefoils above; moulded cill band terminating in square label-
stops. Late C19 cast-iron pump with fluted top, curved handle and
decorated spout fixed to east wall. Interior. Exposed stone to walls
throughout. Trussed rafter roof to nave and canted and boarded roof
to chancel. Moulded and chamfered pointed chancel arch. Low stone
screen attached with blind quatrefoils separates nave from raised chancel.
Circular stone pulpit with pierced pointed quatrefoils set in lozenges
is part of composition and projects to west on north. Pointed arches
to lean-tos immediately to west of screen and also in chancel, latter
filled by wooden parclose screens with geometrical tracery and doors
to east. Trefoil-headed piscina and 2 cinquefoil-headed sedilia in
south wall of raised sanctuary. This has uncusped trefoil-headed doorway
on north side (leading to vestry) and decorated wrought-iron communion
rails with wooden handrail. Stone reredos has triptych with carved
Crucifixion panel to centre, floral motifs above and glazed wall tiles
to either side of altar,depicting corn and vine in vases. Encaustic
floor tiles throughout, with representations of birds and lions in chancel
plus green glaze to undecorated tiles in sanctuary. Circular font
at west end of nave has small plate tracery panels alternating with
rosettes in circular recesses below; moulded plinth and fluting under
basin. Pews and choir stalls probably also by Street, as are cast-
iron and brass sconces attached to latter and brass sconces fixed to
pulpit. Brass lectern and oil lamps in nave are also contemporary.
Stained glass in south-east window of nave commemorates Louis Belson
(died 1874). Brass plate on north wall records building of church.
Small iron-bound chest in vestry, which has infilled fireplace with
trefoil-headed surround. The parish of Lyneal-cum-Colemere was carved
out of Ellesmere and Welshampton in 1869. B.o.E. p.192; D.H.S. Cranage,
The Churches of Shropshire, Part 9 (1908), p.759.
Listing NGR: SJ4377932908
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 260799
Legacy System: LBS
Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 759
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 192
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing