SHADE OAK FARMHOUSE
Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1055946
Date first listed: 27-May-1953
Statutory Address: SHADE OAK FARMHOUSE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055946 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 24-Apr-2019 at 21:43:37.
Statutory Address: SHADE OAK FARMHOUSE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference: SJ 41121 27681
SJ 42 NW; 12/50
COCKSHUTT C.P., Shade Oak Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Probably early C17, extended late Cl7 with later additions and alterations. Timber-framed with painted brick infill, largely clad in C20 brick painted black and white in imitation of timber frame to front and rendered to rear. Slate roofs. Earliest part is gabled range to left, extended to right in later C17. Two storeys and attics. Framing: only framing visible to front is to centre and right gables; collar and tie beam trusses with upper collars and painted V-struts, boxed double-purlin ends. Remainder of front brick, painted in imitation of timber frame. Left return of left range has continuous jetty with moulded bressumer supported on four carved brackets; rendered plinth and some rendered infill. Two narrow rectangular panels on each floor with straight tension braces to corners. Timber frame said to survive beneath render to rear. 1:1:1 windows, all C20 double sashes (those to ground floor segmental-headed) except small C19 casements to attics, right blind and painted in imitation. Central C20 half-glazed door with narrow flanking sashes. Prominent red brick ridge stack to left of main range and right gable has 2 prominent external lateral stacks with tall red brick shafts, right with date stone "F/RS/1763". C20 lean-to porch between stacks and double side-hung casement above with H-hinges. Four gables to rear, 2 to left projecting (right with external end stack) and 2 to right (right with prominent external end stack). Right of left gables has outshut to right and C19 single-storey brick outbuilding projecting from junction of 2 left gables has reused nail-studded plank door with pointed strap hinges.
INTERIOR. Left gabled range has panelled wooden overmantel to brick fireplace beneath ridge stack. Two tapering Ionic pilasters to sides with blind round-headed arches to lintel; centre panel has superscription "FF IF 1659". Deep-chamfered cross and spine beams and oak wainscot panelling. Formerly divided into two rooms. Traces of possible former smoke-hood to other side of stack in main range; chamfered spine beams are jointed with an iron plate at point to which canopy may formerly have extended. C18 staircase behind door has turned balusters and moulded handrail. Chamfered ceiling beams to first-floor rooms, which like attic have wide boarded oak floor boards. Semi-circular plaster ceiling to rear room of right gabled range. Oak winder staircase leads to attic which has timber frame (some with herringbone brick infill) visible beneath C20 brickwork. Right gabled range has collar and tie beam roof in two wide bays with V-struts from collars and extra collar inserted to give added strength and an extra bay. Similar roof structure to other ranges. Cellar has part regularly coursed and dressed red sandstone and part brick walls, part under left gabled range with barrel vault. Cobbled floors. The overmantel is said to be almost identical to that at Old Hall, Lee (q.v. under Ellesmere Rural). Lean-to to rear of right gabled range and mid-C20 flat-roofed addition to rear of left gabled range are not of special architectural interest. B.o.E. pp. 111, 164.
Listing NGR: SJ4112127681
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 260750
Legacy System: LBS
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 111 164
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing