BULL'S HEAD PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1055960
Date first listed:
01-Mar-1988
Statutory Address:
BULL'S HEAD PUBLIC HOUSE, WATERGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BULL'S HEAD PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055960 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 18:35:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
BULL'S HEAD PUBLIC HOUSE, WATERGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Whitchurch Urban
National Grid Reference:
SJ5420141415

Details

SJ 5441 8/133

WHITCHURCH URBAN C.P. WATERGATE (north-east side) Bull's Head Public House

GV II

House, now public house. Probably late C16, extended c.1700, remodelled in the early C19 and further altered c.1900. Timber framed with plastered and painted brick infill, partly rendered, and partly refaced or rebuilt in red brick. Plain tile roofs, hipped to centre, and slate roof to rear. Framing: square panels. Rear wing with much reused timber. L-plan. One framed bay and 2-bay cross wing to right (flush to front) with later wing at rear. 3 storeys with 2-storey wing to left. Rendered plinth and dentil brick eaves cornice. Left-hand wing with c.1900 brick ridge stack and integral lateral brick stack to rear. External brick lateral stack to rear wing. Tall right-hand part has second-floor boxed glazing bar sash with painted stone cill and segmental-headed first-and ground-floor C20 wooden casements, also with. painted stone cills. 6-panelled door to right (lower panels beaded flush) with rectangular overlight and large doorcase with consoles supporting flat hood. The lower left-hand part has pair of first-floor 8-pane boxed glazing bar sashes with painted stone cills and pair of ground-floor segmental-headed C20 wooden casements, also with painted stone cills. Left-hand gable end: rebuilt c.1900. Jettied timber framed first floor with moulded bressumer on 3 fluted brackets and pair of first-floor 2-light wooden casements. Decorative diagonal framing in gable. Rear: lean-to to right and raking dormer to centre. Gable to rear of tall part has a collar and tie-beam truss with queen struts. Rear wing: c.1700. Gable end with first-floor glazing bar sash and collar and tie-beam truss with queen struts and V-struts. Interior: right-hand ground-floor room has probably reset (see mortices) large ceiling beam with billet ornament and the remains of a band of carved ornament above. Former fireplace to left with chamfered wooden lintel. Left-hand ground-floor room with deep-chamfered ceiling beam and plain joists. Exposed framing in right- hand first-floor room, each square panel with chamfered reveals. The former location of the large ornamented ground-floor beam is not known. The ornamentation above the mortices suggest that it might have formed part of a screen or canopy.

Listing NGR: SJ5420141415

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
260690
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/07945/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Peter Cooke. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].