Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1055962
Date first listed: 27-May-1953
Date of most recent amendment: 25-Apr-1988
Statutory Address: BOREATTON HALL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055962 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2019 at 22:12:39.
Statutory Address: BOREATTON HALL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference: SJ 41333 22905
SJ 42 SW; 15/1
BASCHURCH C.P., Boreatton Hall
(formerly listed as Old Boreatton Hall)
Country house, now reduced in size. Dated 1675 (rainwater heads) for Rowland Hunt, Sheriff of Shropshire in 1672. Reduced in size in c.1854, restored in 1933/4 (date on rainwater heads) and again in 1986/7. Red brick (mixed bond) with sandstone dressings; steep-pitched hipped plain tile roof. Present L-plan with extruded corner tower the result of the demolition of one half of the former large U-plan house in C19. Two storeys and attic with wooden scrolled modillion eaves cornice, moulded stone floor band and plinth and alternating angle quoins. Wooden cross windows throughout (some with leaded lights) have plain stone lintels in two sections. North wing, south side: three windows on each floor with segmental eaves dormer to right of centre. Rectangular tower projecting in angle to right. Four storeys with stepped windows lighting stair-well. Also has scrolled modillion eaves cornice with pyramidal slate roof surmounted by ball finial and weathervane. C20 half-glazed door to bottom. Left return of wing has two large early C20 cross windows on each floor, those to ground floor cutting plinth. Two segmental eaves dormers directly above. Central lead downpipe has representation of beast and superscription "RHF/ 1675" to rainwater head. Surviving section of former centre (west) range has three closely spaced windows to first floor with 2 below to left and centre; lower right (former doorway) now has late C19 French casement; left and centre bays divided by brick pilaster with stone Ionic capital and carved rosette at lintel level of ground-floor windows. Lead downpipe to left of left window has representation of beast and superscription "RHF/1675" to rainwater head. Segmental eaves dormer in line with pilaster. Right wall of wing rebuilt in C19 when remainder demolished: cross window on first floor with segmental eaves dormer directly above and C20 French window directly below. Rear of west range has 2 cross windows on each floor, lower right replaced by late C20 panelled double doors, separated by prominent stepped external stack with tall narrow round-headed recess to top. Segmental eaves dormer directly above right window and lead downpipe to far left with representation of beast and superscription "RK/1813" to rainwater head. Projection of north wing to right has 2 cross windows on each floor with segmental eaves dormers above. Lead downpipe to right has carving of beast and superscription "RK/Restored/1933" to rainwater head. Rear of north wing has 8 slightly unevenly spaced cross windows on first floor with third from left and second from right bays on ground floor occupied by plank doors. Small window between second and third bays from left on ground floor; right window cut by C20 lean-to (not of special architectural interest). Three segmental eaves dormers with red brick ridge stacks to left and right. Central lead downpipe has representation of beast and superscription "RK/Restored/1934" to rainwater head. Interior. Staircase rising in-short straightflights to top of tower has turned balusters (symmetrical to middle),open string, moulded handrail and added urn finials to newels. Panelled doors, chamfered ceiling beams and corner fireplaces throughout. Several rooms on ground and first floors have late p17 panelling, some decorated. Principal surviving room is to former centre range on ground floor: rectangular oak panelling with some C17 or C18 stained glass to wooden partition; C19 armorial stained glass to windows. Attic has wide boarded oak floor boards and a large number of exposed curved principals or 'upper crucks', several of which appear to be reused. Barrel-vaulted stone and brick cellar continues under lawn and marks full extent of former house. A plan and drawing preserved in the house, which marks the principal rooms as being in the demolished part of the house, leads to the suggestion that the surviving section was the service part of the building. 14 hearths are re- corded at Boreatton in 1662 and again in 1672 but these must relate to an earlier house on the site. Some of the materials from the demolished part of Boreatton Hall are said to have been reused in the building of nearby Boreatton Park (not included in this list) in 1855-6.
Mrs. R.A. Brown, Baschurch, A Brief Survey of Its History and More Interesting Features (unpublished), pp. 66-9; Shropshire Hearth Tax Roll of 1672, Shropshire Archaeological and Parish Register Society (1949), p. 193; Revd. J.B. Blakeway, The Sheriffs of Shropshire (1831), p. 140; Mrs Frances Stackhouse Acton, Castles and Old Mansions of Shropshire (1868), pp. 56-7.
Listing NGR: SJ4133322905
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 260695
Legacy System: LBS
Books and journals
Blakeway, Reverend J B , The Sheriffs of Shropshire, (1831)
Brown, R A , Baschurch A Brief Survey of its History and More Interesting Features66-9
Stackhouse Acton, F, The Castles and Old Mansions of Shropshire, (1868), 56-7
Shropshire Hearth Tax Roll of 1672, (1949)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing