CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1055964
Date first listed:
25-Apr-1988
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055964.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2019 at 19:01:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Baschurch
National Grid Reference:
SJ 42554 25600

Details

BASCHURCH C.P. SJ 42 NW - 12/4 Church of Holy Trinity - GV II Parish church. 1857 by Edward Haycock Jun. for Miss Barrett of Prescott. Rock-faced sandstone ashlar on stepped chamfered plinth; machine tile roofs with coped verges and foliated crosses to gables. Nave with west bellcote; chancel; north porch and vestry/organ chamber: early Decorated style. Nave. South side buttressed in 3 bays (all buttresses gabled) has paired cusped lancets with leaded lights to each bay,those in east bay to right of covered passage-way linking church with former vicarage (q.v. under Norton House). West end has angle buttresses and buttress to centre with cusped lancet to either side; roundel with 3 pierced sexfoils and clock dated 1897 in commemoration of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee above. North side, buttressed in 3 unequal bays, has paired cusped lancets to east and centre bays and single cusped lancet to west bay immediately to left of gabled stone porch. This has pointed inner and outer doorways (latter double chamfered), cusped quatrefoils to sides and is approached by straight flight of 6 steps flanked by ramped gabled coping. Planted timber framed bellcote has louvred rect- angular openings and broached slate spire with weathercock. Chancel. Cusped lancet to north and stepped angle buttresses to east wall, which has window with geometrical tracery in 3 lights. Buttressed in 2 bays on south, paired cusped lancets with trefoil above to east bay and 3 cusped lancets to west bay. Gabled vestry/organ chamber at right- angles to north has external end stack and 2-light mullion window on east side with boiler house below. Interior. Arch-braced collar beam roof in 4 bays to nave with cusped struts from collars and painted armorial shields to plain stone corbels; bracing for bellcote in west bay. Trussed rafter roof with scissor bracing to chancel. Pointed chancel arch has corbelled responds with carved foliage decoration and hoodmould terminating in painted head-stops, queen to left and king to right. Pointed doorway to vestry. Stone pulpit has blind Gothic tracery panels and octagonal font also looks c.1857. Late C19 benches in nave. Chancel and raised sanctuary have choir stalls and square and rectangular oak panelling provided by Revd. E.H. Tuke, vicar from 1879-1915. Possibly Jacobean chair in sanctuary. The parish of Weston Lullingfieldswas carved out of Baschurch in 1857. B.o.E. p. 312; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 9 (1908), p.779.

Listing NGR: SJ4255425600

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
260699
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 779
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 312

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Jul 2006
Reference: IOE01/15347/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Philip Semple. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].