This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

34, HIGH STREET

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 34, HIGH STREET

List entry Number: 1055987

Location

34, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Whitchurch Urban

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-May-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 01-Mar-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 260654

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WHITCHURCH URBAN C.P. HIGH STREET (south-west SJ 5441 side) 8/98 No. 34 (Formerly listed 1.5.51. as oremises occupied by Bradleys) GV II

House, now shop and office. Early to mid-C18. Red brick with painted sandstone dressings. Plain tile roof. L-plan. 3 storeys. Remains of chamfered stone plinth, chamfered quoins, deep rusticated stone band beneath first-floor windows, plat band between first- and second-floor windows, and moulded wooden modillion eaves cornice. Parapeted gabled ends with rounded stone copings, shaped kneelers and integral brick end stacks (that to right rebuilt c.1900). Brick ridge stack to rear wing. 4 bays; boxed plate-glass sashes with moulded stone cills on small shaped brackets and gauged-brick heads with raised keystones. Late C20 plate-glass shop-front with deep fascia. Left-hand return front: rear wing with rendered chamfered plinth and dentil brick eaves cornice. 4 bays; boxed glazing bar sashes (some with bars removed and some blocked) with moulded stone cills and gauged-brick heads with keystones. Early C19 doorway to left with 6-panelled door(lower 2 panels flush) and simple doorcase with incised plaster strips, frieze with central panel, and moulded cornice. Interior: C18 (post 1720) dog-leg staircase rising from first- floor to attic, with half landings, open string with shaped brackets, column-on-vase balusters (2 per tread), ramped moulded handrail,and columnular foot newel to first floor. The section of the staircase from the ground floor to the first floor has been removed, probably when the house became a shop. Some of the turned balusters of the top section have been replaced by C20 rectangular-section balusters. This house is thought to have been the home of the Duke of Bridgewater's steward. Whitchurch Area Archaeological Group, Whitchurch Rural, ill. 24.

Listing NGR: SJ5413141567

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Whitchurch Rural

National Grid Reference: SJ 54131 41567

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055987 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2017 at 01:28:15.

End of official listing