- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- ALKINGTON HALL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055994.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2019 at 03:24:34.
- Statutory Address:
- ALKINGTON HALL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
- Whitchurch Rural
- National Grid Reference:
- SJ 53058 39267
WHITCHURCH RURAL C.P. ALKINGTON
SJ 53 NE
4/16 Alkington Hall
House, now farmhouse. 1592, probably for William Cotton (d. 1607). Some mid-to late C19 alterations and additions. Red brick with grey brick diapering and grey sandstone ashlar dressings. 2-span plain tile and slate roof. L-plan. 2 storeys and gable-lit attic over basement. North front: chamfered stone plinth, flush stone quoins, moulded stone eaves cornice and parapeted gable ends with stone copings, obelisk finials at feet (those to front probably renewed in the C19) and globe finials at apices. Large external brick end stack to left with pair of diagonally- placed square shafts, small brick stack in valley to right, and brick ridge stack to rear wing consisting of 2 diagonally-placed square shafts. 2-window front; ovolo-moulded mullioned and transomed stone windows, 3-light to first floor and 4-light to ground floor. Small basement window to left with chamfered reveals. Central C16 nail-studded boarded door with wrought-iron strap hinges and furniture, and chamfered stone reveals. C19 brick porch with chamfered plinth, flush quoins, moulded eaves cornice and parapeted gable with finials at feet and apex. 2- light double-chamfered mullioned stone window to front and chamfered elliptical arch in left-hand return front. Right-hand gable end with 3-light first-floor and attic double-chamfered mullioned stone windows. C19 one-storey lean-to addition with 3-light double-chamfered mullioned stone window to front. East front: 2 gables. Central stack with lean-to addition and fire window at base. 2-window front; double-chamfered mullioned and transomed stone windows,2-light to attic, 3-light to first and ground floor. Rear: ground-floor 2-light double-chamfered mullioned stone window to right and segmental-headed 2-light wooden casement to left-hand C19 addition. Chamfered Tudor-arched doorway to south with boarded door. Probably early C17 wing at rear with chamfered crowstepped gable, C20 attic casement and first-and ground-floor 3-light double- chamfered mullioned stone windows. C19 two-storey lean-to in angle to east. Interior: timber framed internal walls. Late C16 fittings and ornament. Left-hand ground-floor front room: 3 ovolo-moulded ceiling beams. Dado panelling, with bench along north wall. Large open fireplace with slightly segmental chamfered wooden lintel and fire window to left. Old panelled door. Left-hand ground-floor rear room: old panelled door with fluted frieze. Pair of ovolo-moulded ceiling beams. Enriched plaster ceiling consisting of 3 lozenges with rose and acorn motifs. C19 staircase. First-floor staircase hall with old panelled doors and ovolo-moulded beams. Blocked former entrance to first-floor front room with chamfered arched bracing. Left-hand first-floor front room: panelling, with fluting above door. Blocked stone fireplace with chamfered reveals and deep stone lintel. Sumptious en- riched plaster ceiling consisting of thin ribs, moulded cased beams with fleur-de-lys and other ornament, and square panels with vine, rose and lily motifs, one depicting a lion and 2 with heads, probably portraits. Right-hand first-floor front room with panelling. Left-hand First- floor rear room: ovolo-moulded beams. Plaster ceiling with 2 circular panels, one with oak trails and one with a dragon and vine-leaf ornament. Kitchen with deep-chamfered beams. Old oak boards throughout. William was a son of Ralph Cotton and died in 1607. The date 1592, recorded over an internal doorway (Clarke, 1952), was not noted at the time of survey (October 1986). The house has undergone a number of alterations since it was built. It probably formerly had a central 2-storey porch to the north (see straight joints and differing brickwork above the present porch). The house was enlarged, probably in the mid-C19, when the south- west corner was filled in (see straight joints). Ernest Clarke, Shropshire Magazine.Vol.2.No. 12, April 1952, pp 14-15 and 20.
Listing NGR: SJ5305839267
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
'Shropshire Magazine' in April, , Vol. 12, (1952), 14-15 & 20
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing